Best false bottom/screen for 160 qt. cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackerman

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a 1+BBL system and am looking for feedback on the best false bottom or mash screen to use. Is a bazooka screen large enough for this? Also, the outlet is situated in front of and slightly above a V-shaped channel and I'm concerned about leaving behind wort. Any creative solutions out there given this is fairly larger than the traditional 80 qt. cooler/mash?

I use a 150qt for partigyle brewing and have a 2ft looped stainless braid. It works well for batch sparging, but I wouldn't use it for fly sparge. Its the same braid I use in the bottom of my 40qt MLT.

Will

It might, but only do batch sparge so it isn't an issue for me. Just so long as you avoid channeling and you get an even extraction from your grains I don't see why it couldn't.

Will

Here's what I ended up building: 2 false bottoms from Austin Home Brew, stainless elbow and T, stainless union in the middle connecting the two and silicone tubing to connect to the stainless hose barb on the "out". It works great, super efficient. Easy to assemble/disassemble and clean. Great solution for 150 qt. cooler false bottom.
Tip o' the cap to Todd Charbonneau from Harpoon for design assistance.

IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

Oh snap, that's awesome! Great design... I assume it just sits on the bottom of the cooler and the domed disks stay elevated.

What are you looking at for dead-space loss?

You know I'm not sure how to measure the dead-space loss... the bottom surface of the cooler has a tapered < going towards the ball valve and we lose some liquid there. I imagine it could be better with one larger false bottom but we are generally near our SG's.
Thinking of building a new MT out of another cooler with some themowells through the top. Anyone know of good designs for that? Our MT temp readings are so all over the place... it's almost more of an intuitive mash-in than a scientific process.

Deadspace is a quick find. Fill the cooler with a couple of inches of water. Put in your false bottom and drain. Once it's done, close the valves and measure the water that's left behind. That's your dead space!

Back