Do spikes in fermentation temp affect final taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have had a few beers now get a spike in initial temperature during fermentation. Both were using US-05. I try and keep the fermentation at about 66-68 F but both spiked within about 36 hrs of pitching to about 74-75 F overnight. I was able to swamp cool both of them down to 68 F within 12 Hrs. So my question is how much of an impact will the 12 hrs of fermentation at 75 F have on the final product if it is fermented out at 68F after the spike? Both brews where american wheats. Is US-05 okay at 75 (the listed extreme of the yeast) or does that temp tend to make the beers taste bad?

The higher the temp, the more esters you will end up with in the finished product. Also, the earlier in the fermentation the spike happens, the more esters you will have produced. Both are just general rules of thumb, as no two ferments are exactly the same and odd things happen, but that's usually how it works out.

Don't know for sure how much it'll affect your beer. Might just make it taste more like it was brewed with US-04 instead of 05. Give it another couple weeks for the yeast to try to clean up some of their byproducts and it might come out a little cleaner.

it is on a wheat beer so esters wont be to bad, my big concern is on like fusels and stuff like that. A few banana cloves wont be terrible. With 75 F listed as the extreme temperature range i would think it would be fine at 75 but it seems alot of people would disagree correct?

Fermentation temp makes the biggest difference early on in fermentation. I don't know if cooling it down after will do much to help the flavour. It may taste like it has a bit of fusel alcohols (nail polish remover taste) in it.

I've had this happen to me the beer was undrinkable at 2 weeks in the keg. 3 weeks was drinkable but not too good. 4 weeks was not bad. Deffinatly not a award winning beer but very drinkable, even almost enjoyable;). Longer it sat the better it got.

So don't worry. If it taste bad let it sit and everything will be allllllllllllright
:mug:

-Nick

I would consider a diactyl rest towards the end of fermentation. I would imagine there is a lot of precursor floating around in there that you'll want to get rid of. There may be some fusels but sometimes a long aging period and some will fall out. You may want tocheck your attenuation since you cooled it (although warming it up for that rest should take care of it)

nallanrex: where you using US-05?

Mirilis: I would need a diacetyl rest even if the fermentation was held at 68 F for 2 weeks (besides the 12 Hr spike at 75 F)?

nallanrex: where you using US-05?

Mirilis: I would need a diacetyl rest even if the fermentation was held at 68 F for 2 weeks (besides the 12 Hr spike at 75 F)?

I generally don't do one for my ales because I do a 4 week fermentation in the primary. I. Only do one on my lagers if it fails the taste test.

Latest posts

Back