ISO cheapest digital temp display...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to find the one I had looked at one ebay at one point. I think it was something like $17 shipped. I do remember that it was pretty darn large in size, though...

digging

I can't find the one I had stumbled across a few months ago.

The least expensive ones I am seeing (under $10) come with their own probes (not specificed exactly what kind they are either.)

I found some that take input from a K-type thermocouple, but they only display Celsius. Listed for appx $30, but it's one of those "or make an offer" items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-LED-RED-Digital-Panel-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-/250617987544?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a59ff01d8

EDIT: You could get another cheap, single display PID and just use it to monitor the temps... possibly put it to better use later if you found a reason. You can get them on ebay for about $30 or so. I can't seem to find any thermometer ONLY items that will allow you to use a K-thermocouple for less than buying another cheap PID.

Yeah that's what I figured.

Planning on tossing 4 of them in my planned Temp Cabinet (1 for each brew) and was hoping to find something Love small but dirt cheap...

Ah well...can't have everything.

If you use the 1-wire sensors you could hook 4 to a brew-troller (fermtroller), and it would be cheap. All 4 temps in 1 LCD display too!

Yeah, there are a lot of inexpensive digital thermometers out there, some costing as little as $3 shipped.

But the OP wants one that he can connect a K-thermocouple to.

I was set on K-type, as I have 7 of them on hand...but it may be more beneficial to go lesser probe and cheaper display.

Does the BCS connect with K's? I may go that route instead...be nice to hit my ferm cabinet from the internet :)

I was set on K-type, as I have 7 of them on hand...but it may be more beneficial to go lesser probe and cheaper display.

Does the BCS connect with K's? I may go that route instead...be nice to hit my ferm cabinet from the internet :)

The BCS (or BrewTroller) doesn't connect with Ks, but I think CodeRage built some boards to adapt TCs and RTDs to the difital signal those devices like.

He was discussing them in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/arduino-temp-probe-k-type-rtd-171492/

EDIT: Actually, I don't know what sensors the BCS uses. Might need to check in to that.

The BCS page says it uses NTC thermistors with a 10Kohm ambient reading.

Of course now I need to figure out WTF an NTC thermistor is and whether what I have on hand will work for it.

Back