Fermentation in Seconday (Nothing Happening)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I moved an IPA into a secondary after a week (7 days exactly) in the primary. When I was transferring there was still active fermentation (not blowing the lid off but bubbles at regular intervals) and assumed that this would continue once I moved everything to secondary.. The secondary is not doing a thing.. Should I pitch a little to wake this up or just relax?

I was using safale-05 in primary and had an orginal OG 0f 1058.. In my haste I did not use a hydormeter to see where I was..

Any thoughts?? PLEASE Comment

You really shouldn't move to secondary until fermentation is complete, but I wouldn't worry. When you transferred to secondary, you would have left a lot of the yeast behind, so it's now going to take a lot longer to really finish fermenting. I wouldn't bother with pitching new yeast. I've done this a few times, but it has never worked. Your impatience in racking to secondary is now really going to test your patience. It should finish eventually, but will take longer. :)

-a.

Aggghhhhh..

Haste makes... this is the worst... Oh well.. This is supposed to be ready for late June so now I will need to see if I can be patient enough to let nature happen next time..

Cheers.
HB

Probably should be ok for june since it wasn't too high of a gravity. You say you didn't check the SG when you transferred, but have you checked since then? It would be helpful to see where it is now so you can check later to see if it's still moving down.

not to belabor this point, but wouldn't 7 days typically run through the majority of the fermentables with -05 in the mid 60's for a temp? From what I have read this should have gone through almost everything in 7days.

not to belabor this point, but wouldn't 7 days typically run through the majority of the fermentables with -05 in the mid 60's for a temp? From what I have read this should have gone through almost everything in 7days.

Never know for sure unless you check it.

Holy..WOW.. SG 1010.. This is actually a little below what I was shooting for (1012). First time with SafAle-05 and it is making me a true believer in the hype about the power of this yeast..
Thanks for the responses and from now on I pledge not to be lazy and always use my hydrometer..

Back