grain bag burned to pot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanityworkshop

Reaction score
so we were brewing our first batch of beer and the grain bag burned to the bottom of the pot... not much grain escaped the bag but there was a decent burn mark of the cltoh on the bottom of the pot.... is this going to really effect the out come of the beer???

This happened to me once a while back. Don't worry, it shouldn't have any ill effect on your beer.

Ive had that happen before too, I never noticed any off flavors attributable to the burnt bag. You have to keep moving the bag around to be sure that its not burning.

- magno

My brew pot has handles and I just tie the top of the grain bag to one of them. Keeps it suspended where it can't touch the bottom and burn. ;)

Don't you just steep the grain at 160*F? How can it burn to the bottom of the pot at that temperature?

Anyhow, next time tie a bit of butcher's twine to the bag and tie that to a pot handle, or to a long dowel or a piece of wood or a ladle or a wire rack or similar sitting across the top of the pot to keep the grain bag suspended just below the surface of the water.

Latest posts

Back