Should I move to a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother Dun

Reaction score
I currently only have one glass carboy and an older plastic bucket that has seen it's fair share of brews. I brewed a stout and wanted to move it into a secondary. Would anyone suggest that I siphon into the old plastic, clean and sanitize the primary (the glass carboy) and re-siphon back in there? Other than oxidation and contamination, is there anything else to be concerned about? Do I even need a secondary for a stout?

Just keep it in primary longer. Most people here seem to just let the primary clean it up. No sense in risking 2 racks worth of infection for the secondary benefit. Also you never stated a gravity at all, so noone has any idea if it should even be racked.

O.G. was 1.057. F.G. should be around 1.015 I'm pretty new, so I'm unsure how gravity would effect whether or not you should rack into a secondary. Can someone explain?

Fermentation should for the most part take place in the primary fermenter, thats where the bulk of your yeast is. How long has it been in primary? Most here typically try and leave it in 2-4 weeks to let the yeast do its job. Revvy will probably be in here, and he will use his goto post #2 which is very good, but for some reason not a sticky.

It's been in the primary for a week. I was going to go with the 1-2-3 method, but it seems like I will just let it in the primary for 2 or so and then bottle. I'd rather not risk off flavors for some clarity.

I've just started doing the 3-0-3 method, and the beer tasted pretty good as I was bottling it.

By random coincidence, that's also the area code for Boulder, CO - home of the Brewers Association.

I've been leaving mine the primary for 4-5- weeks and then to the bottle. All ales so far but a few I did the 1-2-3- method. I think they turned out better when I let them set in the primary for at least three weeks.

Back