Any opinion on these 55 gal drums? Stainless lined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I saw these 55 gallon drums today on craigslist; green paint on the outside and "stainless lined".

http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/1437259948.html

I have no clue what "Stainless lined" is, or how robust it might be
over a flame. But $15 makes me want to experiment, if only they weren't 1 1/2 hours away. Any opinions of using these as a boil kettle or HLT?

For 15 bucks and a day trip it seems like that is worth the experience, but I am a college student with a lot of time. Unfortunately I don't have enough time for the 3000 mile drive...

Might as well at least drive there and give them a good look, don't you think? Can always make some other stop along the way to make it worth it. Any good restaurants in Modesto Ca?

Burning paint, potentially nasty. I suppose you could strip the paint and spray a BBQ high temp paint on the outside. You would have to check how perfect the SS lining was, if it is flawed you are going to have some troubles.

Is it a carbon steel drum lined with stainless (weird)? Or, is it a stainless drum lined with a polymer (also, kinda weird)?

Back