Brewers Best Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Just picked up the Brewers Best Continental Pilsner kit. This is my second beer so I am sticking with extract kits for the time being. The Amercian Amber was pretty good. However, after opening up the box and reading the literature, it dawned on me that a Pilsner is lager, not an ale. In the package literature it calls for fermenting at ale temperatures. What gives? If this is not lager, then what is it? Lag-Ale hybrid???? It used Nottinghams yeast.

As long as the yeast is Ale yeast, you're fine. Most likely, it's an ale that they designed to taste like a pils.

There's tons of kits on the market that are 'misrepresented' as being lagers, this is just one of them.

It will still make good beer, it just won't be a lager in any sense of the word.

Let me know how that turns out, I've thought about making one of those ale-yeast pilsners.

Also, welcome to a fellow Okie. I've seen about 4 pass through in the year and a half I've been on the board. Hope you stick around. I assume you bought your stuff from Chuck at the Brew Shop.

Roger that Billybrew, that's exactly where I go. Living in Chickasah, it's by far the closes. Plus, I was really impressed by Chuck at first meeting two weeks ago. I told him I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted, so he just "hooked" me up. I've been emailing him like crazy with some of the "problems" I thought I was having...turns out to be first time jitters. I plan to be around, lots to learn. I usually hang out at bobistheoilguy.com, where there is a lot of postings on beer, actually. I found this site, and others, from doing an internet search and this is the one I liked the best. I like the way the forums are broken down to the exact subject matter, that's cool. Don't know if I'll be posting like I do at tbitog, over 3400 posts, but I definently will be asking questions and answering some that I'm pretty confident on. Living in Bethany, you don't have that far to go to see Chuck. Have you ordered supplies on-line from anybody else so far?

I ordered some tubing that he didn't carry from Northern Brewer once, but that is the extent. His prices are competitive and when you add in shipping he beats all but the very best specials. Even if he was a few bucks more, I'd spend it to keep a local guy in business. I work about 5 minutes from his place, so I can just hit it on the way home, no problem.

5 minutes....that's close enough. When I need to go "up" there, it usually turns into a family outing consisting of shopping at Kohl's, Mathis Brothers and anywhere else there's money to be spent. That 30 dollar brew kit ends up costing a lot more if you know what I mean. But, it's all good. Wife likes a good homebrew too. Your dead on about the prices, he is very competitive. He doesn't have to be, the only other brew store is in Tulsa, I think. There is also one in Wichita Falls, TX. But like you, I'd help a "brother" out the best I can within reason. I say brother as he is a Shriner and a 32nd degree Master Mason, such as myself.

Begginers "Pilsner's" are designed to be "lightish" and more temp proof.

I did a California Pilsner that Fermented at <70F, which of course is no where near Lagering Temps.

I suppose it could be considered the difference between Lagers and Lagering

pbowler said:
Begginers "Pilsner's" are designed to be "lightish" and more temp proof.

I did a California Pilsner that Fermented at <70F, which of course is no where near Lagering Temps.

I suppose it could be considered the difference between Lagers and Lagering

Without being a style nazi, an American style pilsener that is fermented with ale yeast at ale temps is a cream ale, not any type of lager. Even if you lager it, like a cream ale.

Confused yet?

Mikey said:
Without being a style nazi, an American style pilsener that is fermented with ale yeast at ale temps is a cream ale, not any type of lager. Even if you lager it, like a cream ale.

Confused yet?

Actually, yes. I was under the impression that a cream ale contained lactose, making it creamy. So a cream ale is basically just a pilsener with ale yeast? No other major difference in ingredients?

fezzman said:
Actually, yes. I was under the impression that a cream ale contained lactose, making it creamy. So a cream ale is basically just a pilsener with ale yeast? No other major difference in ingredients?

Correct and correct.

Back