Bottling in Perrier bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I recently got some glass Perrier bottles from the bar/restaurant that holds empty bottles for me. I am hoping to use them for bottling but am not sure whether they will explode or not.

I know the deal with wine bottles (if it's not meant to hold carbonated drinks then it shouldn't be used for bottling). Perrier is sparkling water so it is carbed, just not sure wether it is more/less carbed than homebrew might be.

Anyone have any experience with these bottles or willing to wager whether I will be making hand grenades instead of beer?:confused:

I've used the small (130mL I think?) bottles to store samples of brews so I could taste test a small amount each week while bottle conditioning. They held up just fine.

It will hold, providing you can get the caps to seal. The only problem is the glass color.

yeah, they are a bit on the light side. We'll see what use they get, picking up 48 22ozs from a coworker tomorrow.

A buddy of mine swears by them and told me that he even gets a PET cap from the plastic PET bottles to fit but the PET lids that I have for my plastics has a goofy lip on the inside that won't let them cap thread because the glass is too thick. Does anyone know if I am maybe buying the incorrect lid?

I can confirm that the 750 ml green glass Perrier bottles work and don't explode. Now that just means that none of mine have, but the guy who told me to use them hasn't had any issues either. I got the cap issue sorted out as well when I picked up about 200 pet caps that were from the old style plastic pop bottles. Mine are all stamped Coke and have the old plastic rubber disc liner in the top. Seal very well.

I'm guessing that using a newly emptied Jameson bottle won't work either? I'm just about to start bottling my Pecan Pie Porter and I think i'm going to be a couple bottles short.

I just finished a bottle of Jameson while I was prepping my bottling space and I was thinking about filling it with primed porter, but I would hate for it to explode.

I might just fill it anyways and put it inside a bucket with a lid, and see what happens to it. If it explodes it will be mildly entertaining (assuming i'm drunk when I find it) and if it doesn't, it will be something I didn't know before.

If i'm really lucky, it might add an interesting flavor to the porter since it has a little bit of Jameson left in the bottom.

I can confirm that the 750 ml green glass Perrier bottles work and don't explode. Now that just means that none of mine have, but the guy who told me to use them hasn't had any issues either. I got the cap issue sorted out as well when I picked up about 200 pet caps that were from the old style plastic pop bottles. Mine are all stamped Coke and have the old plastic rubber disc liner in the top. Seal very well.

Are these the 750ml glass bottles you speak of? If so, where did you get the caps you've used? I heard the metal caps on these bottles don't hold very well under a lot of pressure. I want to prime my first batch of cider in these and I'm fermenting dry with champagne yeast.

IMG_20130107_202604_0.jpg

I'm guessing that using a newly emptied Jameson bottle won't work either? I'm just about to start bottling my Pecan Pie Porter and I think i'm going to be a couple bottles short.

I just finished a bottle of Jameson while I was prepping my bottling space and I was thinking about filling it with primed porter, but I would hate for it to explode.

I might just fill it anyways and put it inside a bucket with a lid, and see what happens to it. If it explodes it will be mildly entertaining (assuming i'm drunk when I find it) and if it doesn't, it will be something I didn't know before.

If i'm really lucky, it might add an interesting flavor to the porter since it has a little bit of Jameson left in the bottom.

A Jameson bottle wasn't designed to hold a carbonated beverage so I would say it will explode. Maybe it won't but my guess would be it won't hold carbonation.

Sorry for the late reply but yes, those are the 450ml version of the bottle of which I speak. They take the standard plastic PET bottle c

BenRuss said:
Sorry for the late reply but yes, those are the 450ml version of the bottle of which I speak. They take the standard plastic PET bottle caps, as long as you look for the ones with the completely flat bottom inside. Can't get the ones with the little plastic ridge inside to sit on the edge of the plastic bottles (if you know what I mean. I will take pictures tonight and post. I bottled and bottle pasturized all using these bottles and caps with no issues. They are pretty thick!

Sorry hit send too soon. I will send pics of both styles of LBS PET bottle caps tonight. One works, one doesn't. I back sweetened, and then bottle pasturized a cider in mine without issue.

Here are the photos of. The caps I have. The cap on the right works without any problems at all. Completely flat top, plastic disc gasket and matching threads! The one in the middle has a flat top inside except for a small circular ridge that lines up with he top edge of the bottle rim. The tighter you put the lid on, the more the ridge squishes to create a seal. The one on the left has a ridge that lines up to go inside the lip of the plastic pet bottle to enhance the seal. It unfortunately also lines up with the top edge of the glass bottle because the glass is thicker. This means the lid goes on crocked and squishes the rid I half, making no seal and the lid only hold onto about half a thread or so.
Thus ends my clinic on plastic bottle lids...lol.

image-3949873604.jpg

image-1770242759.jpg

image-3252568260.jpg

image-1838258743.jpg

Thus ends my clinic on plastic bottle lids...lol.

I appreciate it bud! Next time I'm at my LHBS i'll take a look at what they have.. I actually just picked up a hand capper and some caps today but I like the idea of reusable caps. Plus the perrier bottles are kinda neat looking :)

I bottled some cider in these same bottles about 4 months ago with enough priming sugar for 3 volumes. Not bottle bombs, and lots of fizzy goodness when they are opened. I've also managed to reuse the caps that came with the bottles 1 time. After that, the metal is a little distorted from tight recapping and they don't seal consistently.

It should be noted that these bottles don't fit in a standard wine rack. So if you ever decide to go to typical corked wine bottles, the perrier bottles will still need to be stored separately.

And, as always, have nice day.
:mug:

I bottled some cider in these same bottles about 4 months ago with enough priming sugar for 3 volumes. Not bottle bombs, and lots of fizzy goodness when they are opened. I've also managed to reuse the caps that came with the bottles 1 time. After that, the metal is a little distorted from tight recapping and they don't seal consistently.

It should be noted that these bottles don't fit in a standard wine rack. So if you ever decide to go to typical corked wine bottles, the perrier bottles will still need to be stored separately.

And, as always, have nice day.
:mug:

How long did you let them carbonate? And did you cold crash or pasteurize?

*UPDATE* I bought a couple of soda pops last night and noticed that the caps looked to have short threads and I instantly thought, man, those look perfect for my growing collection of Perrier bottles (17 750ml bottles) and YES they are perfect. The treads and the caps themselves seem to be a much harder plastic then LHBS PET caps as well, so you can reef them on tight and they don't seem to distort. Here are picks, maybe raid your office or neighbourhood recycling bins...

image-2795754308.jpg

image-3847969536.jpg

*UPDATE* I bought a couple of soda pops last night and noticed that the caps looked to have short threads and I instantly thought, man, those look perfect for my growing collection of Perrier bottles (17 750ml bottles) and YES they are perfect. The treads and the caps themselves seem to be a much harder plastic then LHBS PET caps as well, so you can reef them on tight and they don't seem to distort. Here are picks, maybe raid your office or neighbourhood recycling bins...
It would be interesting to know if these caps would survive pasteurization and remain sealed.

I paste rise on the dishwasher and these held fine. I also did stove top and the worked as well.

Sorry "pasturize". Not sure what happened there but my autofill didn't like that. Paste fill , silly iPhone

I've been wondering the same thing looking at my wife's 750ml Perrier bottle. I woukd like to find some metal ones with the tamper ring like the original Perrier twist caps....

Latest posts

Back