Bottling Mistake.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iammatt

Reaction score
So let me get it out of the way first, I made a silly mistake, I had a couple too many of Mr. EdWort's Apfelwein while I was cleaning bottles and sanitizing. Anyways, my mistake, I didn't boil the dextrose with water, I threw it right in the bottling bucket and proceeded to rack the beer on top, without stirring at all. So in short, I ended up with a fair amount of sugar on the bottom of the bottling bucket when empty.

The somewhat experienced brewer part of me tells me to wait it out for a few weeks and see what happens but the panicked side of me tells me to pop the bottles open, add sugar to bottle, and recap, which could in turn lead to bottle bombs.

What do you almighty keepers of brewing knowledge think?

(I will now ban myself from Apfelwein on bottling day and stick to "lighter" adult beverages)

I think waiting a few weeks to see what happens is prudent. It could be that they have carbonated reasonably well-- probably not to the level you wanted-- and you don't need to do anything. Having more information later and making a decision based on it is better than acting now on less information.

-Steve

if it hasn't carbed in 3 weeks, you can uncap them and add a carb drop, it'll be fine one way or another.

Back