Outdoor burner question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Got a Bayou Classic High Pressure cooker for my next step up in brewing since my stove won't boil more than 3 gallons...

My question is it safe to use the burner on a deck with an Outdoor Grill Pad.

The “Original” Grill Pad ®, a lightweight 1/4-inch thick flexible
fiber cement protective blanket.

Or should I really get some tile or fire brick???

It should be fine, but try it and if the wood starts getting hot just move. Or you can give it a trial run with water if you are really concerned and don’t have an alt brew spot.

I just brewed on my deck last weekend with one of these (after a few test runs). No problems at all. I also kept the garden hose nearby though, and didn't leave it by itself for more than a minute. I'll probably get a grill mat of some sort for it soon.

Be forwarned that these things will burn off a lot of the paint on the top. Better to do a trial run and get that process over with than risk ruining your wort with paint char. Also a good time to learn how to adjust your flame while there is no kettle in the way to block your view. Just my $0.02

This is good advice- I've got an SP10 still in the box, planning to make the move to AG later this year, but a burn-off is a good idea. I'm going to be doing the boils on concrete, so wood isn't an issue. Still plan on sticking very close, with spray bottle and charged garden hose at the read, until I get a good handle on how the thing works.....

okay I'm going with the grill mat and would be brewing right now, except the Bayou Classic was missing the air control, one call to Bayou Classic and they dropped one in the mail!!! + one on service!

I mail ordered cause my local HD was out of stock and couldn't give me a date for restock...

Planning on doing a close to full boil... next step bigger pot!

I brew on my deck almost every time with no problems. Well, almost no problems. After about a dozen batches I noticed the deck stain was starting to get a little darker. I put a flat stone underneath it and now it works great!

+1 on letting it burn all that paint off before you use it. It always happens, I don't know why they bother painting those things.

I boiled water to treat the aluminum and the smell was pretty bad for the first run. I'd consider placing a small sheet of plywood down to prevent the finish from being ruined.

Back