Dough Balls - Doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Any technique of minimizing the dreaded dough balls when adding DME to the wort? Some of them get like concrete. I try to add little by little with aggressive stirring, but still a PITA.

Remove from heat and wait till steam stops pouring out thus hitting the DME before it gets a change at the boil pot, then just pour slower and stir harder.

What works for me is this:
1. Grab woman.
2. Put spoon in her hand.
3. Make her stir.
4. Pour DME in a little slow.
5. Take your spoon back.

Great response. But you left out:

Have woman open you a brew.

Seriously, though, I stir in the DME with it off the heat. It happened more with a stout that I just finished. I think the gravity of the boil wort may have something to do with it's solubility. I wonder if a drop of de-foamer at this point would rectify this phenomenon. I usually add it anyway, probably wouldn't hurt it at this point.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have read here that a whisk helps with this. I am looking at stainless stell whisks when I am out and about, but haven't seen anything that strikes my fancy yet.

Latest posts

Back