Keeping beer cold in the car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnson508

Reaction score
Hi, everybody, new poster here. I am going to a friend's cookout tomorrow, and he asked if I can pick up the beer for him, since he lives sort of out in the country. The problem is that I would have to pick up the 3 cases before I go to work. My question is how can I keep the beer cold in the trunk of my car for about 3-4hours? The outside temperature will be in the high 80s. I was thinking perhaps a plastic trash bag with ice inside it. Will I even need to use something, or will the beer stay cold for those 3 to 4 hours?

Thanks!

you don't have a cooler? you can always grab a few of the styrofoam ones. they're cheap and handy. ice is a must, of course.

well... dry ice is hard to find, but would do a great job in this situation.

if i had to do it, i would double bag some heavy duty garbage bags, and load em up with beer. then cram as much ice as you can into em. make sure they're sealed well. as the ice melts, it will act as a transfer medium between the ice and beer. it should work ok for a few hours, but i don't know what the time limit would be.

As a homebrewer, you have to have a cooler. This way you can chill your bottled homebrew for a few days before bringing to parties, get togethers, etc.... to ensure proper carbonation.

Seriously? You have to ask how to keep 3 cases of beer cold for 3-4 hrs in your car?

Coolers are sold in every major sporting goods store, grocery store, hardware store & drug store in the nation; at prices from $2.99 & up and you have to ask how to keep beer cold for 3-4 hrs in the car...

There is no "smiley" for the face I'm making right now.
Just out of morbid curiosity, do you happen to work for the US government?

Latest posts

Back