One on the brew whilst i am on holiday help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
Hi i am going away for 1 week september 5th & will be home setptember 12th.
I would like to make some lager before i go and transfer it from the primary into the seconday and leave it in the secondary whilst i am away for a week.
If i transfer to the secondary the night before i go will it then be ok to clear for a week so i can then bottle it the day after i get home.
Please advise on the above and also when should i put the priming sugar in upon my return,give it a gentle stir & then bottle it.
This is new to me to leave it for a week in secondary,any advise would be nice.

Thanks

are you worried that it will be in secondary to long?
if thats the case, no its not too long. A week seems to be a pretty short lager time.

I thought that had it stopped fermenting in the primary by putting it then in the secondary for a week might be to long ? if you leave it in secondary for longer what will you gain from this extra time duration,will there be no yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle when i go to drink it.thanks

There will be plenty of yeast to carb your beer. People lager their beers for months at a time and are still able to carb naturally.

ok so after say 1 month in secondary i then add the sugar before i bottle right ?

well I would transfer to a seprate bucket, but yea

Sorry what i should have said was once the lager has been in the secondary for 1 month then transfer it once again into another clean bin and add the priming sugar then bottle it.

I assume by leaving it this long in secondary it will help with the amount of trub/yeast in the finished lager once bottled.

Sorry what i should have said was once the lager has been in the secondary for 1 month then transfer it once again into another clean bin and add the priming sugar then bottle it.

I assume by leaving it this long in secondary it will help with the amount of trub/yeast in the finished lager once bottled.

not really. I mean, sure, secondary will clear the beer of extra yeast and such, but 90% of your sediment in the bottle is from bottle conditioning. The yeast makes more sediment as it converts sugar to alcohol and CO2 carbonation.

lager or ale, a couple weeks of clearing time (in primary or a dedicated secondary) is going to remove enough stuff in suspension, and leave you with bottle conditioning sediment (a light dusting on the bottom).

if you regularly get more sediment than that, you're bottling too early.

Back