Wheat beer fermenting for 5 weeks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

Reaction score
Hi all. Got a honey wheat from AHS some time ago and made it a rhubarb beer. I followed standard instructions but put .6 lbs of chopped rhubarb in with the grains and also .6 lbs in the primary. Oh, and I used a yeast fuel capsule and some alcohol boost. Is it normal for this stuff to ferment that long? It slowed a bit till I put it into secondary (so as not to overdo the rhubarb taste) and then was rejuvinated to not super strong but still quite obviously fermenting. It's since stopped as of Friday morning. Safe to bottle? Kyle

If you've had stable gravity readings for a few days in a row and they're in your target range I'd say you're safe. If the readings are still changing (or you haven't taken anyway) I'd give it another week (or start taking readings if you're not already).

I'm not sure how much honey's in that recipe, but I brew a honey wheat with 2 lbs. and that thing will bubble for close to a month.

You say it slowed a bit till you put it in the secondary. It should have been completely stopped for a couple days before you ever transfer to secondary. If you aren't taking gravity readings, then you should really wait at least 10 days to 2 weeks before you transfer to be safe and make sure there is no more bubbling.

Back