I have to recommend it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Some of you may recall this earlier thread in which I was formulating a trappist style beer for my fiancee's company picnic. Well, after 12 days in the fermenter I decided to have a quick taste to see how it was.

It was amazing.

Not in a "oh, well it's my beer" sort of way, or a "it's not bad and I'm sure it'll be great in the future" sort of way either. More like a "I could drink this without carbonation and with the yeast still suspended in it" sort of way. I'm not trying to brag at all, but just share my joy at this. It was an experiment using that smoked malt, as well as some of my technique, but it really came through and I just wanted to share my joy about that.

Without going too much into detail, it reminded me a bit of a smoked chocolate porter crossed with a complex trappist style ale. Beyond that, I can't really say much without knowing what it'll become after conditioning. I'll just say that I think I did the right thing by sticking with Belgian styles. Even the lighter beer-loving SWMBO loved the sample.

Finally, I want to say this with the hopes of not being mistaken for shameless self-plugging: try the recipe in the link above. It's definitely worth it if it turns out like this one. Since I can't send my beer to all of you, I want that recipe to be the next best thing. I couldn't possibly be more serious.

Thanks for hearing me out. Prost, guys, prost.

Sweet! Sounds great. Which yeast did you use? I have the Chimay yeast coming for my next batch (I think it's Wyeast 500) and I'd like to keep it as my house Belgian yeast. [EDIT: Ah, I see - Wyeast Trappist High Gravity Yeast. It helps when I actually read posts properly...]

Back