Sparger I am making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the false bottom or the sprinkler for the top of the mash?

Either way, looking nice. I'm sure you're using lead-free solder and all that...

You know I'm not even sure if they make lead solder any more. Maybe it has some specialized use, but anything you'd use, say, for plumbing a house is going to be safe these days...

So, you're gonna drill some little holes in the bottom and suspend it above your mash tun? Cool deal :D

Yes I am going to drill holes all over the bottom. About 1/16" about 1/2" or so on center. My solder job is not the best, it will stay together, but might leak in a few joints, but what the heck, it is going to drip anyway. I want to make one similar, without the cross over piece in the middle and use it as a false bottom. Same deal, holes on the bottom...

Janx said:
You know I'm not even sure if they make lead solder any more. Maybe it has some specialized use, but anything you'd use, say, for plumbing a house is going to be safe these days...
Yep. The use of lead is probably illegal in a lot of places for new plumbing...plus it just wouldn't sell. Everything that I have is tin.

It could still be dangerous if something poisonous got into the tubing. I'd recommend getting rid of it as soon as possible! But don't throw it away...send it to me, and I will dispose of it properly ;)

I think I used lead once, but I can't remember exactly. I think I did, it was about the same time my cool old mercury filled thermometer broke in my kettle. Hold on, what was your question? Damn, let me think. Ok, now I remember, yes, I would love another beer.

Tin is a chemical element. Lead is a different chemical element. While there can be contamination, 100% tin means 0% lead, or anything else for that matter.

Tom

Back