1 barrel stout tank build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facebrewing

Reaction score
So I'm about to take on building a 1 barrel system with the help of my father and my co brewer. Plus the help of my great friends. I'm building this stand out of 2"x2" steel ( didn't go stainless, wanted to but to much money) with two 10" banjo burners for the HLT and boil kettle. I have ordered a 1 barrel system from stout tanks with Herms coil and fermenter which should be here in early January. Still acquiring parts and ideas as I go. Any pointers, tips, ideas and advice is more than welcome. Here is some pics of today's start of welding the stand. Not done yet, hopefully next week we can finish and be ready for paint. Still not sure of the parts needed to control these burners with automation using propane. Thanks for looking.

image.jpg

Just have to smooth out the welds and attach casters and leveling rods. Thanks to my pops who came from Arizona to help me with the build.

image.jpg

I'm at the point of getting burners for this bad boy and I'm not sure if I want to go with a 23 tip jet burner or the 10" banjo burner. I use the banjo now and it works good for fifteen to twenty gallon boils. I have no experience with the jet burners, do they have good propane efficiency compared to the banjo? Maybe some one can give me some insight on this? Sorry if it was posted somewhere on here but I figured I would ask. Cheers

Oh man, thats going to be awesome. I am planning a brutus 10 style system. Would you recommend skipping the 10 gallon batch system and go straight to a 1bbl?

Faded giant

Thanks for looking. Kinda new on hbt. I would say if you can go 1 barrel I'd do it. Why not if your gonna build it, build it big. I have some OCD with everything involved with brewing. Real bad thing haha. Are u fully automating your rig? I say take the plunge.

That is awesome. I agree with the build quality comments, that ought to be around for a long time.

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your stand? What is the diameter of the 1bbl kettle (could not find specifics on the Stout site)? Not sure if it will be a width issue, but I really like the stands where the kettle handles are oriented front and back to save space.

I have a Morebeer 26g stand with kettles w handles on the sides (in the way imo), if I ever upgrade I am hoping I can go to much larger kettle (w handles front/back) and still fit my stand.

The dimensions of the stand are 84" long by 24" wide and 16" tall with casters on one side and I just got some 3/4" threaded rod for leveling on the other side. I think the stout tanks were around 20" in diameter and 40" tall I think. I think I will also go with a pid control for my burners to control my herms coil. Not sure yet.

I brew on a multi level keggle uni-strut setup I made a few years back. It works great I just want something a little bigger a shinier. Two pump, two burner set up.Here is a pic.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387942467.975149.jpg

Any body have any suggestions on paint color or know what is a good primer to put on mild steel? Hoping to get this thing at least primed tomorrow and gas manifold done. More pics in the morning.

So we got a lot done today. Didn't get to paint but got the casters on, leveling feet, and mash tun support as well as pump manifold plate. Very happy with how it came out. Now I just need to figure how to mount burners and pumps.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388184554.884555.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388184570.392824.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388184582.600619.jpg

I have the 20 gallon set up from stout with the same options. You are going to love your stuff. So glad I went with them rather than the other competitors. It is a lot more heavy duty than I thought it would be.

ForumRunner_20131227_161143.jpg

KGB, this is good to hear. This is the first feedback someone has given me about stout tanks. I am super stoked for them to arrive in a couple weeks. How do you like the false bottom and bottom drain in the mash tun? Did you go electric or direct fire?

I really love their stuff. Extremely heavy duty. I wasn't sure about the false bottom at first. It didn't seem to lay flat, but I found I have to rotate it till I find a sweet spot where it sits flat. The bottom drain is awesome(no dead space) my first 10 gallon batch had 35 pounds of grain. I also did a very fine grind and absolutely no problems sparging. The whirlpool inlet and the domed bottom in the boil kettle are great additions as well. The kettles are taller than I thought they would be. I'm sure yours will be even taller. I would suggest making a lower stand if you haven't already picked out the hight. I went direct fire. Are you trying to go nano? Congratulations on the purchas/good luck with the build.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I purposely built the stand to be low. It stands at 16" tall plus the size of the kettle should be right around my neck. Def. gonna go nano at some point just not sure when. I'm going to do direct fire at first then switching over to all electric. How well does your Herms coil keep your mash temps? Sorry for the questions... Cheers

Definitely keeps a consistent temp. My first batch I didn't account for 40 degree temps + didnt pre MT and did not heat my strike water up enough. It took a while to heat the mash through the HERMS about 10 degrees. But that's my fault. I am also planning on using the HLT as a pre chiller for my plate chiller in the summer time. Ice water in the kettle, cooling water goes through the HERMS before the plate chiller. Haven't done it yet though.

I like that pre chiller idea. I don't use a Herms coil now so it will be a learning curve I'm sure. Big brew day tomorrow making a prickly pear cactus lager with agave nectar and lime.., should be interesting.

Sounds Interesting. The herms Is pretty easy. I'm sure you'll have it figured out pretty quick. Are you planning on automating your build?

Found 12 stainless 1/2" ball valves in a box from a while back. Looks like I'm def gonna have to automate this bad boy now.

image.jpg

Yea not really sure how I forgot these were down there but I'm gonna use them now. Only problem is they are not tri clamp. I was trying to keep it all the same. Maybe I will just use them for water in to the HLT and chiller water. I will prob sell some I'm sure.

Saturdays brew day with my father for the first time made 10 gallons of a prickly pear Mexican lager with agave nectar and a little lime. Glad you could make it from Arizona pops.

image.jpg

PBH, that is pretty much what I'm going for. Just a little lower in height and placing all pumps behind the front stainless panel with just the tri clamps hanging out. How do you like those massive burners? And how are you controlling them? Nice rig not sure how I missed this one.

Back