i saw it in a science lesson...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltesers49

Reaction score
At school I saw the formula with yeast and glucose = co2 and ethanol etc...and i wondered...

So I bought some pure white grape juice and shoved a sachet (7g) of bread yeast in. Added a small spoonful of glucose energy drink powder in. Waited about 3 days. Opened up my highly pressurised carton of grape juice.

bloody hell. Its lovely. Tastes just like white wine!! On the downside it smells of egg a bit...i was told this was something to do with contamination? I dont think its got too much alcohol in it (bout 5-6%). Does anyone have any really simple recipes similar to this for beverages such as cider maybe? How could i increase my alcohol level?

maltesers49 said:
Does anyone have any really simple recipes similar to this for beverages such as cider maybe?

Doesn't really belong into the beer forum, but

In Germany they have something called Federweisser. This simply is grape juice that has started fermentation (young wine) with either wild or cutured yeast. I have made it from wild yeast by simply leaving the bottle open and non-refrigerated for a couple of days.

It will have some fizz to it, and depening on its age, there will more or less alcohol.

Nope-- if you use an airlock that sulfur smell escapes during the fermentation process, instead of being trapped inside, permeating the contents.

even with an airlock, fermenting cider goes through a stage where it smells like the seat cushion from a bar stool. It eventually goes away. (Note: COMPLETELY novice cider maker. only one batch, so I have poor statistical data to go on.)

Anyway, if you only let things ferment for 3 days, it might just need some more time to allow that sulphur smell to go away.

-walker

Back