Post here if you scored East Coast Yeast today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I sent my email at 4 pm EST sharp, and now I'm refreshing my inbox like crazy to see if I was one of the lucky few.

I know Joe at Princeton Homebrew isn't sending out emails to those who missed the boat today, and I respect that...but it would be nice to hear from someone who scored, so I can move on with my life.

Oh well, then. They say that East Coast Yeast is going to start upping production soon, so hopefully I'll get some before I'm old and gray.

I scored a vial of ECY01, I probably should have gotten 2 vials bc with shipping it's gonna cost me $20 but I really needed it for an upcoming barrel project.

I pretty much have given up trying to get some ECY. Every time they offer it, it is gone almost as soon as it is offered. Unless they up production to make it more widely available, I give up,

It seems like you need some secret decoder ring to get the stuff.

I pretty much have given up trying to get some ECY. Every time they offer it, it is gone almost as soon as it is offered. Unless they up production to make it more widely available, I give up,

It seems like you need some secret decoder ring to get the stuff.

I think what you really need is a fast ping to the Princeton homebrew email account (so living in NJ/NYC/Philly helps) plus you have to be the type of person who checks their email all the time, plus luck.

Well guess what, brewers, I just got an email from Joe with news that I DID score some ECY after all! (Seems he missed sending my confirmation email.) As soon as I get my vial of Bugfarm, I'll be brewing my first-ever sour ale.

This is just a message to give you guys hope--if I can get ECY all the way out here in Washington State, hopefully you'll get some soon, too!

so am I missing something here?...is this anything you can't buy from Wyeast/White labs?

I understand its "special" yeast strains; but how special?

It's many, many things you can't get from Wyeast/White Labs:

ECY01 - BugFarm
A large complex blend of cultures to emulate sour beers such as lambic style ales. Over time displays a citrus sourness and large barnyard profile. Contains yeast (S. cerevisiae and S. fermentati), several Brettanomyces strains, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. The BugFarm blend changes every year and can be added at any stage of fermentation. Now producing Bugfarm 6 for 2012 (includes a newcomer – Brettanomyces nanus & naardenensis). Also, B. lambicus/Dekkera bruxellensis known to produce citric acid.

As I understand it, some of the commercial purveyors of sour beers are now fermenting with ECY cultures. I'm excited to give them a try.

I just found out that I am getting a bundle of East coast yeasts. ECY1, ECY08, ECY12, ECY21 and ECY24.

so am I missing something here?...is this anything you can't buy from Wyeast/White labs?

I understand its "special" yeast strains; but how special?

very special IMHO- he does lots of buggy stuff,but as an old school brewer I really like Brasserie Blend (ECY 08) and the Old Newark Ale (ECY10)is the best i have used for ESB and English style ales

Contains yeast (S. cerevisiae and S. fermentati), several Brettanomyces strains, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Sounds cool and all, but here's Wyeast's description for their lambic blend: a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture.

Seems pretty similar to me.

ICWiener said:
Sounds cool and all, but here's Wyeast's description for their lambic blend: a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture.

Seems pretty similar to me.

According to the Princeton Homebrew site, BugFarm/BugCounty contain SEVEN species of brett, and I believe multiple strains of lacto and pedio as well.

Of course these are just numbers; it's taste that really matters. This weekend I'm getting my first taste of a low-gravity pale sour with ECY01 that's been in the fermentor for a couple of months. Can't wait. If it's in the neighborhood of 1.003, I'm going to give it another month and then bottle.

Back