Wax on corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim-wy

Reaction score
I've bottled a wine that I intend to save for at least another year and anticipate keeping a bottle or two around for several. Is there a need or advantage to drop a dab of wax onto the corks as an additional sealant or will keeping the bottles on their side be sufficient? Is it critical to keep them on their side to keep the corks moist (I believe so...)?

Thank You!
Jim

I'm trying to think if I've ever opened a bottle of commercial wine with wax on it. My husband swears he "sees it all the time" but I can only think of a couple of wineries that do.

It won't hurt! But don't see it as a replacement for laying the wine on its side and turning it every few months.

Jan

Wax application for most today is decorative. Some use wax like others would use the bottle neck capsule. I like to melt plain paraffin colored with crayons in an empty narrow metal cans in a water bath and dip my bottles in...just make sure your corks have been seated for at least 72 hours. Or I drop a dollop of wax on bottle and press a stamp into it to create a decorative impression. But I only do the wax stuff for special presentation, so it is waxed just prior to when I need the wine. Getting a dragonfly stamp for the dollop detail since my wines are called 'Dragonfly Wines'. Currently have a 'DW' and a 'D'. Have even considered coordinating the color of the dollop to be a visual indicator of dry, semisweet, sweet, dessert....matching my wine label colors.

Back in the day bottle necks were also wax sealed as an extra measure of protection. Bottle necks were often irregular and corks could be the same so the wax helped to ensure an airtight seal. Plus, the wax seal, which many times had an insignia impression or the like, was a verification of legit product.

Jan - you've got me wondering why I did this to begin with... now that you mention it I'm trying to recall when, if ever, I've actually seen wax on corks other than my own. What does turning my bottles do for the wine or seal? I haven't done that. Thank you!

saramc - that sounds like a very neat effect, dipping the top of neck in colored paraffin - and the stamp effect. Thank you, and your explanation of the original reason they waxed bottle tops solves my concern over the matter.

Jim

springmom said:
You turn the bottles so that the cork doesn't dry out on one side.

Springmom...if you are resting your bottles horizontally, ie flat, and your cork is not completely covered with wine you need to add more wine when you fill for bottling. All of the cork closest to the wine needs to kept moist at all times during storage because even a portion of cork not kept moist will dry out and the cork will eventually fail. Photo below is a 750ml bottle which had been corked with a 9 x 1 3/4 cork. Most wine consultants/experts will advise that bottles be cellared either cork at a downward angle or lying flat AND do not turn the bottles, because vibration is discouraged. Exception: champagne making.

ForumRunner_20121122_194624.png

Dipping the entire top of the bottle in wax adds a really stylish effect for presentation. However, I've never used wax for preserving the cork, though what Saramc says makes a lot of sense to me.

Great idea with the seals in the wax BTW saramc, I've used them on letters, but never thought to put a 'seal of approval' on my wine!

I've never waxed any wine bottles, nor do I know anyone who does.

It's decorative, but I don't think it's functional. Wine can be aged many many years in corks on its side as long as the cork is in good shape.

Back