No Airlock Activity after 3 Weeks - Pitch More Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBottle

Reaction score
Good evening all!

I started off with 5 gal of cider, 4lbs brown sugar, and some ale yeast. It's been about a month and my airlock activity has decreased drasictly. It bubbles about ever 5 to 10 minutes.

Surely additional fermentation is required for this batch.vWhat are the thoughts on pitching more yeast? Maybe siphon to a secondary fermentor?

Thanks!
-Matt

Good Evening,

4 weeks is plenty of time for fermentation to finish. If you want to rack it secondary then go for it. Only way to be sure it has finished is to take gravity readings over several days. Has it cleared?

Cheers,
Brian

Hey Brian

I apologize in advance. I'm a complete noob when it comes to brewing. This is my first batch actually. By cleared, do you mean the actual look? If so, I've attached a picture. I believe it's "clear"

As far as checking the gravity, sadly I forgot to get a SG so I don't think my hydometer will be much help (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I decieded it's fermented enough and I want to acheive a sweeter cider, would the proper method be to rack into a secondary, add camden tablets, and then back sweeten. After that, go ahead and bottle?

IMG_0080.jpg

There is nothing to be sure of except that you need to take some gravity readings. You could be just seeing offgassing.

My bubbling stops after about 1 week. If its still bubbling, I'd say let it go until it fully stops. Then put it in a secondary.

My bubbling stops after about 1 week. If its still bubbling, I'd say let it go until it fully stops. Then put it in a secondary.

Do not do this. Airlock bubbling means nothing. This is an empty carboy bubbling from temperature changes. Already fermented cider is chock full of CO2 that can offgas and cause airlock activity. Or it could be still going. There's only one way to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
People love to hate on airlock watching, but in this case it's actually working as an indicator. It's indicating that the OP's primary fermentation is done or almost done. Since you plan to use a secondary anyways then go ahead and rack it over now.

The next steps are correct, but the campden will not stop the yeast from eating any sugars you add as backsweeteners. For instructions on how to have a sweet, sparkling cider I suggest you read through the pasteurization sticky at the top of the cider section.

At the same time, if you're not sure isn't it always OK to wait another week or two and letting the yeast clean up after themselves and let the brew clear even more? As long as you're not sitting on the lees for months/years...

People love to hate on airlock watching, but in this case it's actually working as an indicator. It's indicating that the OP's primary fermentation is done or almost done. Since you plans to use a secondary anyways then go ahead and rack it over now.

The next steps are correct, but the campden will not stop the yeast from eating any sugars you add as backsweeteners. For instructions on how to have a sweet, sparkling cider I suggest you read through the pasteurization sticky at the top of the cider section.

So what you're saying is that the airlock is indicating the fermentation either is or is not complete? I wish I had a job with that sort of success rate. ;)

Exactly :D

Since the OP reported the bubbles slowing significantly AND it's been 3 weeks it's a pretty sure bet that things are wrapping up in there. Just airlock or just time would be insufficient to make such a call.

These tips have been extremely valuable and greatly appreciated! The day I started the batch I also found out my wife was pregnant. I thought it'd be rather "neat" to have a nice bottle around to commemorate. I'd rather do that with good cider than bad :D

I'll be looking into the benefits of secondary fermentation to see if that's the route I want to take -or- if I should just begin the pasturizing / bottling process now.

Thanks again!
-Matt

Back