Cascades in Key West

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the crown from a friend here on HBT... If I were you I would order a crown instead of rhizomes. Since the crown is from an older plant youll be more likey to get a harvest rather than growing your rhizome into a crown and having to wait till next season for a hop harvest. It might be too late to plant a crown this season but if you do get rhizomes Id plant em and let them get started on growing. Ive heard good reviews about people ordering crowns from Great Lakes Hops. Heres their link.... http://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops/app_135607783795

***I actually just went back and checked their site and they dont have most of the strains they usually do. I would definitely look for a crown and stick to the "C" varieties, everyone here says they handle the FL heat better. And FWIW Ive heard Cascade is supposed to disease resistant.

I checked with Great Lakes and they won't have Cascade/Centennial until the Fall. I can't seem to find any other sites that have any rhizomes in stock either. I'll just wait till the fall and get things planted then for next year.

So I tried the flick test for the 1st time today and these babies passed. Nice grapefruit smell. Cant wait to harvest the rest already on my bines and the others soon to come from sidearm growth.

1st Harvested Hops 6:24:12.jpg

The first pic I took yesterday. The older leaves have just about hit the end of their life but the new sidearm growth is growing at an explosive rate putting out small cones and all. The 2nd pic, taken today, is of 2 bines that sprouted a week ago that I propagated. I cut them dipped the tip in rooting hormone and planted them. If all goes well they will grow their own roots(crowns) and give me hops next year.

Hops 6:27:12.jpg

Propagated Hop bines 6:27:12.jpg

Took these pics today. Sidearms are overloaded with burs, I added a few pics of the ones becoming cones. Looks like im going to get a second, and much bigger harvest if things keep up...

Hop Cones 7:2:12.jpeg

Hop Cones2  7:2:12.jpg

Hop Cones3  7:2:12.jpg

Hop Cones4  7:2:12.jpg

Hop Cones5  7:2:12.jpg

Thought I'd share some pics of my Cascades. The leaves on bottom of the bines are about spent, but who cares when I've got a bunch of cones :ban:

img6662na.jpg

img6668h.jpg

img6667va.jpg

I've read where other people say that it is normal. I used to worry about it, but seeing how well the plants are producing cones and that the upper half or so of the plants are nice and green, I'm not going to worrying about it any more.

Completely normal. The leaves get old and die/fall off about the same time it starts putting out cones and sidearms. Just make sure the new growth is healthy and you'll know if you've got a problem or not.

Subbed.

Nice looking nuggets you got there!

Any trouble withe WhiteFly in your area?

Up here in Palm Beach County, we're getting destroyed. They killed most of my vegitables.

If whitefly like hops, it ain't going to happen here. not organically

Cheers and great looking plants!!!

Subbed.

Nice looking nuggets you got there!

Any trouble withe WhiteFly in your area?

Up here in Palm Beach County, we're getting destroyed. They killed most of my vegitables.

If whitefly like hops, it ain't going to happen here. not organically

Cheers and great looking plants!!!

Thanks man!! There are tons of whitefly here, Ive been fighting them on my peppers all season. They dont seem to have any interest in my hops though I have had other pests like spider mites and aphids. I started using Oganicide as recommended here on HBT and havent seen any pests since. Id get some from home depot and use it on your veggies, it should do the trick.
Its all natural and safe to use up until harvest day.

Great pics thanks for sharing, all that posted them on this thread!! So cool you're growing hops in KW!
And Stan Johnson, good to see they grow here in T'ville too! Cheers.

hepcat said:
Great pics thanks for sharing, all that posted them on this thread!! So cool you're growing hops in KW!
And Stan Johnson, good to see they grow here in T'ville too! Cheers.

Thanks!!! It just goes to show if you can do it here and still get a quality harvest, you can grow them mostly anywhere else. You should give it a try. Hops have got to be the most resilient thing I've ever grown. And the funniest to watch too since daily growth is very noticeable.

BrokenArmBrewing said:
Wow. Looks great! Inspired to buy some next season. Do you remember where you bought your crown from?

I got mine from someone here on HBT. I would either go through great lakes hops or see if someone on here has an extra crown theyre willing to get rid of after harvest.

KeyWestBrewing said:
I got mine from someone here on HBT. I would either go through great lakes hops or see if someone on here has an extra crown theyre willing to get rid of after harvest.

So I hooked up with Great Lakes Hops, and am now the proud pappa of magnum and fuggles. How bog is your pot that your growing thsem in? Of you look at their pictures, you can see one shot with their plants in lined milk crates. Looking to plant this weekend. What if any action can I expect at this time of year?

BrokenArmBrewing said:
So I hooked up with Great Lakes Hops, and am now the proud pappa of magnum and fuggles. How bog is your pot that your growing thsem in? Of you look at their pictures, you can see one shot with their plants in lined milk crates. Looking to plant this weekend. What if any action can I expect at this time of year?

Honestly the bigger the pot the better. Mine is in I believe a 6 gallon but I will be looking to move it to a 10 gallon for next season to let the crown stretch. It's almost harvest time so I'm not sure what to expect by planting now. Some of the other hop growers on here with a few more seasons under their belt might have some better info on that.

Nice! Just planted 2 crowns yesterday. Fuggles and Magnum. The magnum was growing in the package! See if these guys start growing. I might give them a month and just trim to soil so that it can grow roots l. In pots right now with 2 cubic feet of vegetable porting soil. Crossing fingers

Fuggles and magnum have been in the pots for a week now, and are growing. How many bines should I let grow up the twine. Rack crown had at least 4 bines, and all look like they have new growth

Back