Turkey Fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
With thanksgiving just around the corner - I'm looking at all these great deals on Turkey Fryers.

I struggle to brew all gain mashes in a 20qt pot - and need a bigger one. All the pots sold as brew pots cost $80+ for 30qts - however, there's all these deals for 30qt - 40qt turkey fryers for around $50 - $70 - and that includes the propane burner.

I also struggle with an electric stove.

This seems like it'll cure both problems at a fraction of what I was thinking I'd have to spend for a burner and pot from a brew store.

What's the catch - am I missing something?

Ian

The pots for turkey fryers are a bit on the thin side. I've been using one for five years and scorching can be a problem. I always shut the burner off before adding extract. On the plus side, the thin walls make it really easy to drill holes for "no-weld" faucets and temp. gauges.

Get one with a 40 qt. pot & turn your 20 qt kettle into a mash tun.

Have you joined the Heart of the Valley club or the Oregon Brew Crew?

I started with a turkey fryer kit, used it till I could afford a modified keg.
I now use the turkey fryer pot to disolve malt extracts in now so they do not get scorched in the main boil pot. So as you upgrade the pots still have their uses.

I recently stoped using the keg in favor of polarware pots with screen grates in them. Have not had a polarware plug up on me yet. The modified keg would plug up sometimes, which lead to crazy fire drills to remedy the situation.

Thank you

Hi,

You mentioned $50-70 turkey fryers. Are these prices for steel or aluminum? I recently bought a Bayou Classic propane fryer kit, which came with the burner, a steel 30g pot, lid, basket, other accessories, for $99 including shipping from Amazon (cheaper than on the Bayou Classic website). In case you are interested...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYOG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I believe stainless is better for brewing than aluminum, as do others on this site, though some think there is no difference. Consider this an option.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thor said:
Hi,
... I recently bought a Bayou Classic propane fryer kit, which came with the burner, a steel 30g pot, lid, basket, other accessories, for $99 including shipping from Amazon (cheaper than on the Bayou Classic website). In case you are interested...

Hope this helps.

Thor- are you happy with this kit? I was looking at this one the other day, when SWMBO commented how she could still smell my brew in the house 3 days past brew day!! She is being patient, but wants me to move the operation into the garage

If you already have a boil pot that you are using any of the turkey fryers are good. I don't use the aluminum pot for anything but cooking. My stainless cook pot fits just fine on the fryer.

Look for the Stainless turkey fryers, I picked up one at Academy the other day it is beautiful. Cleans up nice and all the instruction I have on brewing say to kill fire when adding the extract. I only payed $30 but I already had the burner, with burner it was like $50.

david

I agree w/ most posts here. Get stainless steel pot. Burner should be relatively high BTU. Most turkey fryer burners are around 30,000 if I am not mistaken. Should really be higher. However, it will work. Rarely do we all have "ideal" setups. Just my opinion!!!

OtherWhiteMeat said:
Anyone know the ballpark btus of an electric stove burner? Considering its an average, middle of the line range.

I don't think electric ranges are rated in btu's, they use watts. The average stove should use around 1800 watts/burner. If you had a gas stove, that would be rated in btu's, the average stove has 9500 btu burners.

loop

Truble said:
Thor- are you happy with this kit? I was looking at this one the other day, when SWMBO commented how she could still smell my brew in the house 3 days past brew day!! She is being patient, but wants me to move the operation into the garage

Referring to the Bayou Classic 1175, 30 qt steel pot / burner /accessories: I am happy with what I've used so far. That is, I've used the pot, lid and thermometer for indoor batches, and they are good quality and clean nicely. As for the burner, when I set it up with my LP tank, there was a leak in one of the hose connections. When I tried to tighten it, my super-human strength must have kicked in :eek: and the damn think popped off, nearly scaring the you-know-what out of me (which, I imagine, is bad for beer!).

The good news, though, is that the customer service apologized and is sending a new hose assembly out right away. Having seen this company's equipment in action, and given their customer service, I think it is definitely worth the price. It also comes with a fryer basket, hook, and some skewer attachments. I bought it as much for frying turkeys, which is soon to happen, as for the beer.

It's funny to hear you speak of the Mrs' comments on the smell. My wife came home last night while I was brewing a specialty grain / LME / hops recipe, and she commented on how good the house smelled. She was a little disappointed to find out that it was "only" beer. I need to work with her on priorities. :D

i just bought my second turkey fryer(on sale for $34) it has an aluminum pot, burner and all the other turkey fryer stuff. i'm still trying to figure out why other than burning the extract its not good to use an aluminum pot. if it holds up to 450 degree oil, i'm sure its fine for wort. i'll be using it this weekend so i guess i'll learn on my own. i think as long as i take it off the flame, i shouldn't have any burning.

Some people think aluminum will contaminate the beer and cause alzheimer's. These beliefs are based on two things: utter lack of knowledge of metallurgy, aluminum oxide will not dissolve in a mild acid solution and a vague memory of some connection between alzheimer's and aluminum. This connect was based on a really bad and totally wrong study.

The pros use stainless steel, so they can just pump caustic soda through the system to clean it. Caustic soda will eat aluminum and just about anything else it touches.

justbrewit said:
i just bought my second turkey fryer(on sale for $34) it has an aluminum pot, burner and all the other turkey fryer stuff. i'm still trying to figure out why other than burning the extract its not good to use an aluminum pot. if it holds up to 450 degree oil, i'm sure its fine for wort. i'll be using it this weekend so i guess i'll learn on my own. i think as long as i take it off the flame, i shouldn't have any burning.

The biggest reason you do not use aluminum is because it does oxidize and the oxidation protects the wort from the aluminum. But if for some reason you have a wort that is more acidic or basic than normal then you eat the oxidation off and vala!! aluminum beer taste. Not a good thing unless you are after an old aluminum beer can taste.

It only need to be mildly off ph 7 for this to happen, I am still new at brewing but I think the wort is acidic? or maybe basic? but it is not ph 7. If you had too use it it would work. But not every time, you get like a 50% chance for disaster.

David

Sorry, but you need a pH of around 3 to take the oxide off of aluminum. It is one of the most stable, non-ceramic compounds around. No wort will ever get close to this, in fact, there probably isn't anything in your house that comes close.

Okay, I have to chime in here :rolleyes: :) ...

The aluminum vs. S/S argument has been discussed here numerous times before. And david_42 is absolutely correct - aluminum is no better or worse than S/S. This "aluminum bad; S/S good" stuff is just b*llsh*t, plain and simple. No scientific evidence exists to back it up.

Whatever you decide, buy as thick-walled a pot as you can afford. I brew with aluminum pots I purchased from a restaurant supply house. I've been brewing with aluminum since 1997 and it does not affect the taste of your beer in any way, shape or form.

david_42 said:
Sorry, but you need a pH of around 3 to take the oxide off of aluminum. It is one of the most stable, non-ceramic compounds around. No wort will ever get close to this, in fact, there probably isn't anything in your house that comes close.

Let me check my inventory of chemicals, muriatic acid. Actually, I agree with the fact that its use is limited due to its reaction with sodium hydroxide or any other base and not because of any apparent issue with acidity.

PT Ray said:
Let me check my inventory of chemicals, muriatic acid. Actually, I agree with the fact that its use is limited due to its reaction with sodium hydroxide or any other base and not because of any apparent issue with acidity.

Yeah even white vinegar is around pH 3, but I'm still not worried about aluminum, thanks to you + everyone else's reassurance.

Also just so y'all know I'm going to get into homebrewing and I'm checking out all the things I'll need to get started. I want to use a turkey fryer as a boiler. Can you guys make a list of all the other things I'll need?

Thor said:
Referring to the Bayou Classic 1175, 30 qt steel pot / burner /accessories: I am happy with what I've used so far. That is, I've used the pot, lid and thermometer for indoor batches, and they are good quality and clean nicely. As for the burner, when I set it up with my LP tank, there was a leak in one of the hose connections. When I tried to tighten it, my super-human strength must have kicked in :eek: and the damn think popped off, nearly scaring the you-know-what out of me (which, I imagine, is bad for beer!).

The good news, though, is that the customer service apologized and is sending a new hose assembly out right away. Having seen this company's equipment in action, and given their customer service, I think it is definitely worth the price. It also comes with a fryer basket, hook, and some skewer attachments. I bought it as much for frying turkeys, which is soon to happen, as for the beer.

It's funny to hear you speak of the Mrs' comments on the smell. My wife came home last night while I was brewing a specialty grain / LME / hops recipe, and she commented on how good the house smelled. She was a little disappointed to find out that it was "only" beer. I need to work with her on priorities. :D

Anyone else use the BC 1175? I'm looking into purchasing it

loopmd said:
I don't think electric ranges are rated in btu's, they use watts. The average stove should use around 1800 watts/burner. If you had a gas stove, that would be rated in btu's, the average stove has 9500 btu burners.

1800w ~ 6200 BTU

After Thanksgiving last year the cheap "Heat-Mac" turkey fryer at the grocery store went on sale for $39.99 -- I waited

Just before Christmas they were down to $29.99 -- I waited

Just after Christmas they were down to $19.99 -- I waited

Just after new years they were $9.99 -- I hit, hard. Ended up buying the last 6, two for myself, one for a friend (Not for beer), one for the mother-in-law (Not for beer), and two that I resold to my LHBS(where I work part time) which turned around and sold them for $29.99.

Been brewing in the garage ever since. Two burners, two 7.5G aluminum pots for $20 :D

98EXL said:
Anyone else use the BC 1175? I'm looking into purchasing it
I just picked up the 3066A for $49 from HomeDepot, which is basically the same thing with only with cheaper mild steel stand and Al pot. Works great. Got my wort boiling in no time. A 30qt pot is barely big enough for a 5gal AG batch but you can make it work if you keep and eye on it. I boil my first and second drainings before adding the next drainings from my MLT. This allows me to heat the wort with less time and means my hot break with a full pot is much less vigorous.
If I was to spend more money on the system I would have ordered a 36qt SS pot and Banjo burner instead of getting the SS stand.

Craig

Back