Issues with cracks forming in "grenade" style glas carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have 4 carboys. Two of the smoother carboys (5.5gal) and two of the grenade style (6gal) carboys. The grenade style have the square pattern on the outside. My problem is both of the grenade style have developed cracks in them. They are small, but I'm worried about filling them back up with 5gal of heavy wort. I treat all my carboys very carefully and have never dropped them or banged them on anything. I also never expose them to anything hot (maybe 105 degree water when cleaning them), so thermal shock shouldn't be an issue. The smoother carboys are both several years old while these grenade style carboys that are cracking are maybe 1 year old at most.

Does anyone else have experience with this? At $40ish a carboy, I don't really want to buy two more just to have this happen again. But I like the larger size for head space, etc.

Thoughts?

if they are actual cracks, and not surface scratches, you should throw them in the trash.

is saving $40 worth eventually emptying 5 gallons of wort on the carpet and possibly cutting the hell out of yourself on broken glass (because you know they will crack when you are carrying them and not while just sitting there...)?

Oh I absolutely plan on throwing them out. I guess my question is, does anyone else else experience this? I like the size of the theses carboys, but I don't want to buy more of them if they are prone to cracking.

There are lines in the glass, and they catch your finger nail if you drag them across it. They were shipped to me from several states away when I purchased them... maybe it was a possibility that they were bounced around quite a bit when shipped and it weakened them.

There are lines in the glass, and they catch your finger nail if you drag them across it. They were shipped to me from several states away when I purchased them... maybe it was a possibility that they were bounced around quite a bit when shipped and it weakened them.

Probably ridges from the mold they were made in.

Well they definitely are not straight lines... Maybe I'll take a picture later and post it.

When I bought mine at my LHBS I took the first one I saw. The guy that was selling it to me looked at it and said it was cracked, so I went and got another and checked it myself. It too was cracked. I checked 12 carboys, only to find them all cracked. I did get one that was OK and I doubt he returned the faulty ones or disposed of it.. but I can't say for sure.
If he thought they would cause injury like we now know they would, I'm sure he wouldn't sell them... but you do take your chances when you buy and not check.

Some definitely have QC issues. I always open then at the LHBS and hold them up to the light. Quite often, the poorly made ones have large air bubbles that can crack over time; I've opened a few to find them cracked, or have bad seams. If they cool them unevenly, they can develop stress cracks over time.

Some pics of the cracks would be helpful

Here are pics... sorry about quality.

2012-04-19 17.22.15.jpg

2012-04-19 17.25.03.jpg

Wow... those are some stories! I've heard better bottles can add off flavors... is that a myth?

Ha, I'm not panicking. But it does seem like a silly risk when its unknown if these things are going to fall apart in my hands or not.

I had the same thing happen to me. Both my glass carboys developed cracks in the bottom so I replace them with better bottles. I really like the better bottles but they are a lot harder to clean since you shouldn't use a brush. I say ditch the glass... BBs are cheaper anyway.

I just built a keg/carboy washer to recirculate PBW. It doesn't work as well as I had hoped. I recirculate for a while (half hour to an hour) then put a clean washcloth in and shake it around for a bit. Drain the water before shaking the washcloth around, it scrubs better if you do.

And for anyone that loves glass and is afraid of them (I am in both cases) I would advise three things to make your carboy a bit safer.

1) I see lots of photos or carboys without handles on them. Not sure if the OP has one, but just making sure.
2) Acquire a square milk crate (not a rectangular one). ONLY move your carboy from place to place in the milk crate. If something does cause it to shatter, the majority of the glass will be contained in the crate and you will not sever tendons and arteries.
3) Keep the original cardboard box for protection when it's sitting around. My girl dropped a screwdriver on one and it was done for. Take the box, turn it upside down and cut a round hole for the mouth to stick out of. This will protect it from things like dropped items, it will also protect from light, and will allow you to still see the fermentation lock.

Not saying these tragedies could never happen to me--I am realistic. But these steps should really help cut down on injuries and breakage.

PS-first one looks like a scratch (like a diamond scratch almost), second one looks like minor defect. I would probably recycle the first one for safety. The second looks fine to me. Be sure you always check carboys before leaving the store. I buy one and go through about 5 before I find the 'best'

Be safe!

... second one looks like minor defect. ... The second looks fine to me.

I thought it looked that way to, but the OP indicates he's had these for a year and the cracks have "developed". He's had other older carboys, so he's not new at this.

My problem is both of the grenade style have developed cracks in them. ... The smoother carboys are both several years old while these grenade style carboys that are cracking are maybe 1 year old at most.

That is correct. I have never noticed these lines before. I can't say when it happened, but I'm nearly 100% sure that these carboys did not have cracks in them when I bought them.

I will be getting handles and milk crates in the future.

Yeah, if they developed--it's much better to be on the safe side and get new ones.

PS-Another good thing about milk crates--you are never hoisting a full carboy by the handle. I was talking about this with some friends; the only time I use the handle is for lifting the empty carboy in and out of the crate.

Back