Different taste with different types of carbonation processes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
This question is a general question for not just beer but also cider.... I just didn't see any "general discussion" in the cider area but I felt this question would probably apply to all;
Do you get a different taste out of your brew when you do different types of carbonating? Is there a different taste when using priming sugar as opposed to carbonation drops? And the same with forced carbonation, does that taste different as well?

In my experiences,it's more like carbonation level, Or "volumes of co2" used in priming calculators to style. Simply put,lowe co2 volume helps accent the malt. Higher co2 volumes help accent the hops. It's kinda fun to play around with to get more or less balance,depending on how you want the finished brew to be.

Very interesting... I was going to use some warm water and priming sugar but the guy at the brew shop talked me into carbonation drops... It's been about six days and I do not have tons of carbonation but I do have a little bit of fiz..

BadgerBrigade said:
Very interesting... I was going to use some warm water and priming sugar but the guy at the brew shop talked me into carbonation drops... It's been about six days and I do not have tons of carbonation but I do have a little bit of fiz..

Is this in the cider you were doing? How did it turn out? Did your paintball buddies enjoy it?

Yes, I have not yet passed it all out yet... Just gave a few away. It has a tiny tiny bit of sweet, then pretty tart, then a kick of alcohol ... Not as bad as I feared, not as great as I hoped for. But hell, it was my first one so I figured "whatever" :)

I am wondering what is/and would it make the cider better if I back sweetend???
Why do ciders from big brewing company's taste so good compared to the three home-brewed ciders I've had?

Any tips would be very appreciated!

P.s. can you back sweeten with other juices, like pear?

Bulk priming and bottle conditioning with something like demerarra sugar gives the most complex flavour, and I like it best. I will second the earlier poster that said carbonation level seems to affect taste. For a recent experiment I tasted my IPA daily as it approached my desired carbonation level after bottle conditioning. At first it was very malty and estery with lots of residual sweentess, and now it's dried back out and it's a very nice little hop bomb.

Yup,low carbonation tastes malty,higher carbonation makes the hops more prominent. I've been using demerara sugar for darker beers like my English bitter & Burton ale.

If I plan to make ciders I guess I want mid level carbonation... Think I'll try priming sugar next time...

How would I use my pear juice for back sweetening after the next batch ferments? I wanna use the juice so do I use the priming sugar also? I want carbonation but I'm not sure how to use the priming sugar and the pear together?

Back