2 weeks on Brett L 1.014 to 1.012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it seriously this slow? I took some taste and smell notes on my last gravity reading and it smells and tastes just like Orval.

I read that Orval is on Brett L for a month before bottling. Can I expect more to be done during bottling? I'm concerned if it plummets in the bottles I could get some bottle bombs.

Please advise.

if you're in a rush just ferment from beginning>end with brett ONLY. in my experience it will go from OG to SG of 1.014-1.012 in about 2 to 4 weeks. after that it's somewhat slow and steady and requires some patience.

check out this ppt presentation from vinnie of RR:
www.babblebelt.com/newboard/brew.../RRsour_beer_presentation.ppt

in one slide he states a 100% brett beer (no sacch) will go from 1.060 to 1.020 in 10 days. then it will take an additional 8 weeks to go from 1.020>1.010. after that, bottle and in 3-4 months you'll be past the "sick" phase and probably have decent sour beer. that's about the quickest i would expect a "decent" sour, 6 months or so.

Is it seriously this slow? I took some taste and smell notes on my last gravity reading and it smells and tastes just like Orval.

I read that Orval is on Brett L for a month before bottling. Can I expect more to be done during bottling? I'm concerned if it plummets in the bottles I could get some bottle bombs.

Please advise.

I remember reading that also about Orval only leaving it on the brett for 4 weeks before bottling. Perhaps since they know their process they account for how much more they know the beer is going to attenuate in the bottle, and then prime accordingly so its not over-carbonated.

Since you don't have this knowledge, your best option may be to let it sit until it stops dropping.

My one and only 100% Brett. L. went from 1.054 to 1.005 in 14 days. I thought I had read elsewhere that a 100% brett beer should ferment on roughly the same timeline as a sacch beer, so its interesting to hear the guy from russian river say it should take 9-10 weeks to get full attenuation.

Back