American Wheat: To transfer or not to transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porterrific

Reaction score
As the title states, I've heard of some people transferring to a secondary on their wheat beers, but most say to stick with the primary to retain that classic unfiltered cloudiness. Thus begs the question, to transfer or not to transfer?

It really depends what you are going for. I do a very light American wheat that I ferment as clean as possible and transfer to secondary and age it for a month in secondary. I also just brewed an Am wheat that I dry hopped in primary and had it in kegs 3 weeks after brewday.

It really depends what you are going for. Do you want a cloudy beer?

Always, Never, and almost either are not good statements IMO.

I use secondaries a lot, and a lot of times I don't. Take a read through my blog post about secondaries, I think it explains a lot of misconceptions about secondary fermentation.

I rarely use a secondary at all anymore. However, I've used a secondary even with german hefeweizens in the past. They still maintain their cloudiness. It takes a lot of time and cold temperatures for all of the yeast to drop out of suspension, not to mention the protein content from the wheat. As others stated, it just depends what you want. It will be "more clear" if you go to secondary, but I'm sure it will maintain the wheat cloudiness unless you cold crash.

Back