Next three batches, need some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
So I'm going into "budget mode" for the next few months, I'm going to repeat 3-4 of the same beers to keep it cheap with common ingredients and allow me to perfect some recipes. I do 3 gallon batches so I can brew more frequently and I don't have old stock sitting around.

I just bought 1lb each of 2008 hops
Magnum
Chinook
Cascade
EKG

First up is BM's Blonde
90% Pale Malt
10% Munich 10L
.15oz Magnum FWH for 17 IBU
.50oz EKG @15m for 5 IBU
.50oz EKG @5m for 3 IBU

Wyeast #1056

German Hefe
60% White Wheat
40% Pilsner
.40oz EKG @ 60m for 15 IBU
Wyeast #3068

American Pale Ale
85% Pale Malt
10% Munich 10L
5% Crystal 40L
.25oz Chinook @ 60m for 22 IBU
.25oz Chinook @ 45m for 20 IBU
.25oz Cascade @ 30m for 5 IBU
.25oz Cascade @15m for 2.5 IBU
.25oz Cascade @ 10m for 2 IBU
.25oz Cascade @ 5m for 1.5 IBU
1.00oz Cascade @ Dry Hop 7 days

Wyeast #1056

I am concerned that the APA and the blonde will taste too much alike with such similar grain bills. Does anyone think this will be a problem, any suggestions otherwise?

Looks like a good spread. BM's Blonde will be totally different than the APA you have planned. The FWH and later aroma additions will give you a totally different taste compared with the APA's hop additions. I say go for it! You'll have three good beers in a few months...

those beers will be VERY different. just look at the vastly different hopping schedules. sure, the malt flavor will be the same, but it will be hard to pick up as more than a base for the hops in the APA.

you could always add a little flaked maze to the blond , 15% or so to mix it up a little
its cheap

Back