Oak Chips...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like oak flavor, they're nice. I soaked some in some Jim Beam Black for about 3 weeks and then put them into secondary with my oatmeal stout for 2 weeks and it added a real nice touch of sweetness that had just a hint of oak to it. Some people use it for serious oak aging, but I've never tried that.

I stole a tip from, I believe Biermuncherm and used regular ole Jack Daniels oak smoking chips that I soaked for 2 weeks in more Jack. Came out great...
Next time though I might toast them a bit, basically just put them in a baking pan and sticking em under the broiler for a bit.

JACKDANIELS_L.jpg

You can oak multiple batches...

One thing guys, when using them...Pick through them and make sure you only pieces larger than someone could choke on...in other words make sure there's no long slivers or tiny pieces that could accidentally get sucked up your autosiphon and end up it bottles...I selected pieces that were at least an inch wide.

ANd at 7 bucks for a huge resealable bag it's a great deal.

Back