Wyeast vs. White labs vs.ECY etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a stupid question and just a curiosity as I have personally had great results from all 3 "major' yeast houses. At the last home brew club meeting it became evident people are hardcore loyal to one or another yeast mfg to the point that I had to moderate the discussion ( I thouht it was pretty stupid ). I was curious is there any opinions out here ? all I will say is I do like wyeasts packaging more as white labs tends to after shaking like to explode out the cap when you open it. just curious. :mug:

As long as the strain is the same, I usually just buy whatever is cheaper/available.

Agreed though that the WL vials exploding out the cap is semi-annoying!

You just need to let the pressure escape from the white labs tube, like a bottle of seltzer ready to bubble over. Crack it a little, wait a few minutes, crack the top a little more, etc...

I've only used WL yeast, it tends to be a little cheaper where I shop. No other reason. Always had good luck with it and never had problems opening the vessel.

I crack open (but leave the top on) the WL vial while it is cold and let it warm to room temperature...no explosion. HOWEVER, if you let it warm to room temperature and then crack the top, get ready for a yeast bath.

Just crack the top when you take it out of the refrigerator to let pressure escape and there should be no problems.

For any basic beers like pale ales, IPA's, English pale, I have started using Safale dry yeast. For bigger beers or specialties, I usually get Wyeast because the LHBS seems to stock more of them than they do WL. I have only used WL one time and didn't feel that it was worth the extra money it would cost to continue.

For any basic beers like pale ales, IPA's, English pale, I have started using Safale dry yeast. For bigger beers or specialties, I usually get Wyeast because the LHBS seems to stock more of them than they do WL. I have only used WL one time and didn't feel that it was worth the extra money it would cost to continue.

I agree on the cost. I have been stepping up batches and storing extra yeast so I can get a few brews from each vial to offset the higher cost. I have used primarily Safale yeast and I wanted to try something new. (And I was really impressed with a Wyeast Belgian Wit on a Hoegaarden clone...so I wanted to try some new yeast strains)

Back