rubber seal fell in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec68

Reaction score
Well i am brewing my first batch ever and I ran into a little problem today, just wanted to find out if you guys think I will be ok.
I started an Irish red ale 6 days ago in my primary fermenter, which is a plastic ale pail. Today I went to get a hyrdometer reading, and planned to take one again tomorrow and possibly transfer to my carboy for secondary.
After taking my reading and sanitizing everything, I put the lid on and started to put my 3-piece air lock back in place, when I guess I pushed to hard and sent the little rubber seal straight into my brew.
I took the lid off to look for it, but the seal had sunk to the bottom. At this point the only thing I could think to do was to go ahead and transfer to the secondary. I did so using an auto syphon, and there in the leftovers at the bottom was the seal.
Everything appears ok for now, but just wanted to see if this happened to anyone else, and how it turned out!

By the way, my original hydrometer reading was 1.038, and today it was 1.014. I haven't seen bubbles in the air lock for the past 3 days.

Thanks

Did this on my first batch when putting the cover on for the first time. Why did you take the air lock off? Not sure but don't think there is a need to take it off once it's on. I didn't anyways.

Yeah I realized afterwards that I probably didn't need to take it off in the first place. I guess I was trying to avoid spilling it.

thanks to everyone for your responses.

Paging yooper...paging yooper to fallen grommet, aisle three!

Your beer will be fine...you just now officially became a homebrewer...losing the seal is like the trial by fire of the true brewer.

LOL!

As you can imagine from Revvy's post, it happened to me to0! My first post on here was something very similar- I plopped that grommet right through, so I duct taped the airlock into place and waited it out. My beer came out fine, and yours will too!

Hell, my grommet's gone wort diving three times. Never had a problem. Some day I will learn to put the airlock on before I cover the pail.

Somehow I've been able to fish it out of the trub successfully without much effort each time.:D

Slightly :off:

Is it wrong that the first thing to pop in my mind when I read the thread title was "send in a Rubber Eskimo (or Inuit) with a rubber club to go get the little bastard"?

Did the same thing on my first batch. :D

I didn't have a replacement, so just covered the hole with aluminum foil and it's been a GREAT beer:mug:

To be honest maybe too good as I have a hard time limiting myself to 1 beer a day... I'm almost out and my next is at least 2 weeks away from being ready.

Cover and your beer will be just fine.

Cheers:mug:

I guess that's my problem. I've never done this and so I'm not a true homebrewer yet. Frankly, I can't see how anyone can do this. I mean, you can see when you are about to pass that puppy through the hole, right? So you just stop before you get there. It's like what you tell your girlfriend, except you actually do it.

Back