can I please get a quick math check?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of beer with an OG of 1.074. Tonight, I added 1 pound of turbinado sugar (dissolved in a negligible amount of water and boiled). Assuming that turbinado were as fermentable as sucrose (48 points per gallon), I just raised my OG from 1.074 to 1.084.

1 pound * (48 points per gallon/5 gallons) = 9.6 points

1.074 + 0.0096 = 1.0836 = 1.084

Right?

(I realize than in actuality, turbinado is probably slightly less fermentable than pure sucrose.)

Looks ok to me, but I'm no math wiz. But...why don't you just take a hydro reading?

Thanks for your help, guys! I'm kind of tired and just wanted to make sure I calculated it correctly before I wrote the revised OG in my notebook.

Looks ok to me, but I'm no math wiz. But...why don't you just take a hydro reading?

I brewed it a week ago and wanted to add the specialty sugar after primary fermentation had ended to preserve its flavor.

Plus, I haven't invested in a thief yet...

BeerSmith thinks its potential is only 44 points which gives you a revised OG of 1.083.

Back