Bottleing tonight: Quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I'm taking the carboy out of the igloo and doing to set it on the counter tonight so it's higher. However that's not the question.

I've looked at the carboy just inside the igloo and noticed that a little "yeast" still exists on the surface of the beer. Little islands here and there but nothing that looks too wrong. Should I post a picture for evaluation? Or am I needlessly questioning it?

Beer looks a little cloudy... is this an issue to worry with? (light ale kit that came with the equipment)

Is 24(22oz) bottles enough? We do have a case of 12 bottles from beer we drank a few weeks ago waiting to be used as well... Not sure how many we will need exactly.

girlfriend asked if we could wait to bottle till this weekend instead of making it a late night tonight.. Is that possible given the instructions that said "2 weeks, then bottle"?? I don't mind waiting but if it would affect the first batch we made, I wouldnt want to wait.

Essentially I want the first batch to go well enough that my gf goes for making more and decides to keg (i.e. faster and less hassles then filling bottles)... etc...

:mug:

thanks
jake

Ya waiting isn't a terrible idea. I've left my brews in primary for 4 weeks without any problems. As for 24 bottles, if you have 5 gallons, I'd get those other bottles ready just in case. When I bottled my first, I found that I didn't have enough bottles at all (in fact had to pour out the last bit in my bucket). It was a sad day for beer.

Don't let it happen to you :D

Edit: Oh and the reason I didn't have enough bottles was I underestimated the volume of my beer (don't have a graduated carboy here heh) and I underfilled most bottles. Lessons learned :)

I generally leave my beers in the primary for three weeks before I even think of bottling, kegging or going to secondary (clearing vessel.) Often even longer. Waiting is a good thing.

+ 1 on waiting. Is your beer done? Did you hit your FG, aka the hydrometer reading? If it has you can always move to a secondary if you have one. If not, just let it be for another week and you will be good to go.

Back