Recipe review 2nd try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all!

Would you mind having a look? What do you think fellows?

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.7 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 34.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 6 10.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)

Mash @ 152

It looks good. I have read quite a few that don't like Fuggles though. I have only used them once, and those in a kit recently. They were used as the bittering hops and I have not tried a finished bottle yet. It is a Porter.

This is a good looking Brown recipe. Even though most British Ale purists would go apoplectic with the idea of adding a continental grain to a British beer, I think you'll love what a half pound of Special B brings to the table. The only complaint that I would have is that you're hopping it like an IPA. You have 50.9 IBUs listed and the hoppiest style (Northern Brown) only has 20-30 IBUs. That said, make it and drink it. If you like it, the BJCP shouldn't matter. In fact, if you like the grain bill and want to make an India Brown Ale with it, go for it!

This is a good looking Brown recipe. Even though most British Ale purists would go apoplectic with the idea of adding a continental grain to a British beer, I think you'll love what a half pound of Special B brings to the table. The only complaint that I would have is that you're hopping it like an IPA. You have 50.9 IBUs listed and the hoppiest style (Northern Brown) only has 20-30 IBUs. That said, make it and drink it. If you like it, the BJCP shouldn't matter. In fact, if you like the grain bill and want to make an India Brown Ale with it, go for it!

To be honest, I do not look at any style in this case. I want to try something I did not try so far (with what I have on hand at the moment). As of for the bittering, I’ve looked at the ratio and it’s at 0.78 if I remember well. I don’t think that the hops will completely overpower the malt in this case.

I know you don't have a particular style in mind, but do you at least have an idea what you want the beer to be like? From your first thread I know you started with an arrogant bastard clone. Fuggles and EKG are going to be tamer in character, tending toward earthy especially the Fuggles, rather than the aggressive grapefruit pine that you would get from the chinook that you had originally. I think this will probably turn out as an amber ale that is on the bitter side but without big American hop flavor/aroma, so if that's what you're after go for it.

I know you don't have a particular style in mind, but do you at least have an idea what you want the beer to be like? From your first thread I know you started with an arrogant bastard clone. Fuggles and EKG are going to be tamer in character, tending toward earthy especially the Fuggles, rather than the aggressive grapefruit pine that you would get from the chinook that you had originally. I think this will probably turn out as an amber ale that is on the bitter side but without big American hop flavor/aroma, so if that's what you're after go for it.

Thanks! Yeah, I've changed my mind and went with something very different. I think thats the beer I wanna make.

Back