Looking for sorghum free extract recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMH_

Reaction score
Title says it all.
Looking for some good GF sorghum free recipes to make for a buddy. I haven't tried his current favourite, but he likes the Glutenberg American Pale Ale.

Thanks in advance!

You can use rice syrup instead of sorghum.
Like sorghum it lacks body and malty flavors, but unlike sorghum it has no wierd off flavors.
A stove top partial mash of 3 to 5 lbs rice malt with added alpha amylase will provide the body and maltyness that the extract is lacking.

A straight extract batch with just rice or sorghum extract is alyays disapointing, but you can make somthing very nice if you are willing to do a little stovetop partial mash.

Sorry for bieng a tease, I know you asked for a recipe...but hopefully this sends you in the right direction.

I tried a partial with 3 lbs of rice extract and 3 lbs of sorghum and 5 lbs of malted millet in my last batch. It was so much better. Next batch I am going to doubling up with the millet and tweaking the recipe a bit. Hopefully the sorghum taste will not be prevalent. I'll keep you posted:drunk:

glutenfreehomebrewing.org has a lot of recipes from extract to all grain listed in their recipe section that might give you some direction.

I just started brewing and planed to do a handful of extract batches but after I started looking realized there is not much available for GF extracts: Sorghum, brown rice syrup (if you can find it in stock), rice solids, and assorted syrups... So my second batch was a partial mash with 5# millet malt, 2# buchkweat malt, 3# rice malt, 1.7# sorghum syrup, and 1# candi syrup. The taste test I took yesterday seems to not have any sorghum taste but the hops are still over powering with it being only a week since the start of fermentation.

... now to find a place around me were i can buy some of the glutenberg beer.

glutenfreehomebrewing.org has a lot of recipes from extract to all grain listed in their recipe section that might give you some direction.

I just started brewing and planed to do a handful of extract batches but after I started looking realized there is not much available for GF extracts: Sorghum, brown rice syrup (if you can find it in stock), rice solids, and assorted syrups... So my second batch was a partial mash with 5# millet malt, 2# buchkweat malt, 3# rice malt, 1.7# sorghum syrup, and 1# candi syrup. The taste test I took yesterday seems to not have any sorghum taste but the hops are still over powering with it being only a week since the start of fermentation.

... now to find a place around me were i can buy some of the glutenberg beer.

I've found Glutenburg in a couple of places you might have access to: Whole Foods and World Market (formerly Cost Plus Warehouse). Good luck.

And to the OP, just in case you missed the GF recipe section of this forum, here you go https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Back