buying Clarity Ferm in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canehdianman

Reaction score
I'm sick of paying $5 Canadian for 10ml of Clarify Ferm.

I found a place that sells 1L containers of it.

Has anyone else starting buying Clarify Ferm in bullk to save some money?

The 1L container looks like it will lower my $ per dose from $5 to around $1.20.

I've heard the shelf life of Clarify Ferm is about 1-2 years (if refrigerated). I might offer 1/2 the container on kijiji to ensure that we will use it all within that time frame.

Can anyone think of a downside to doing this?

Man how big of batches are you making?...a few drops is all you need per 5 gallons.

Where did you find it in bulk?

Also, I have a quick question: I'll be doing my first batch with Clarity Ferm soon, in the hope that my celiac girlfriend will be able to enjoy my home brew. Since I brew 2 gallon batches, do you think I can use, say, half the the vial, and keep the rest refrigerated until the next batch (say, a month in the fridge)?

Thanks!

Where did you find it in bulk?

Also, I have a quick question: I'll be doing my first batch with Clarity Ferm soon, in the hope that my celiac girlfriend will be able to enjoy my home brew. Since I brew 2 gallon batches, do you think I can use, say, half the the vial, and keep the rest refrigerated until the next batch (say, a month in the fridge)?

Thanks!

Its available for commercial breweries in "bulk" or larger quantities, although I cant seem to find it available for purchase in the large sizes for HBers. I think you may want to email white labs regarding saving half a vial. Not quite sure what the happens once you open it or if you could potentially be inviting infections. It is a great product though. My wife is gluten intolerant and this has made it so she can drink my beers

I'm sick of paying $5 Canadian for 10ml of Clarify Ferm.

I found a place that sells 1L containers of it.

Has anyone else starting buying Clarify Ferm in bullk to save some money?

The 1L container looks like it will lower my $ per dose from $5 to around $1.20.

I've heard the shelf life of Clarify Ferm is about 1-2 years (if refrigerated). I might offer 1/2 the container on kijiji to ensure that we will use it all within that time frame.

Can anyone think of a downside to doing this?

We can get it in bulk if you want. Let me know if you want I will get you a bulk price. I think its in qt jugs.

Just shoot me a PM I'll get on it for you.

Cheers
Jay

We can get it in bulk if you want. Let me know if you want I will get you a bulk price. I think its in qt jugs.

Just shoot me a PM I'll get on it for you.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay. I've already placed an order with a HBS here in Canada, so I'll see what they come up with. If they drop the ball, I'll send you a PM.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't end up costing an arm and a leg with currency conversion nowadays :(

Thanks Jay. I've already placed an order with a HBS here in Canada, so I'll see what they come up with. If they drop the ball, I'll send you a PM.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't end up costing an arm and a leg with currency conversion nowadays :(

You got it. Just trying to help. If it doesn't work out I'll see what I can do to help out.

Cheers
Jay

I'm curious to see what White Labs will say about storing an opened vial, but that's what I'm wondering about: how do you plan on measuring the right amount? A sanitized syringe? And how will you keep the 1L container? In the fridge? I'm just curious, as I do find that 5$ a vial (I'm in Canada too) is quite a lot, especially since I'm brewing small batches...

I'm curious to see what White Labs will say about storing an opened vial, but that's what I'm wondering about: how do you plan on measuring the right amount? A sanitized syringe? And how will you keep the 1L container? In the fridge? I'm just curious, as I do find that 5$ a vial (I'm in Canada too) is quite a lot, especially since I'm brewing small batches...

I was thinking of buying some empty vials and filling them up with a sterile syringe to keep some on hand, and useable. I'll store the big container in the fridge, yes.

Here's the answer I got from White Labs :

"Hi,

It will be fine to use half and keep the other refrigerated.

Thanks!

White Labs, Inc.
Sales/Customer Service
888-593-2785"

So, I guess that means that there wouldn't be a problem in having a 1L container and use the equivalent of a vial at a time (provided everything is sanitized properly).

I just got off the phone with the LHBS that ordered it for me.

This stuff is more concentrated than normal Clarity Ferm. 2ml does a 23L batch. At that rate, it would take me a decade to go through 1000ml, so I asked if they had anything smaller. They do! Evidently it comes in a 250ml container as well.

Perfect for me :)

I may need to get it in 250 or 1L. What did you guys pay for those quantities (approx.)? Just trying to get a ball-park.

I may need to get it in 250 or 1L. What did you guys pay for those quantities (approx.)? Just trying to get a ball-park.

I havent purchased it in bulk yet (although I plan to) but white labs lists the 1L on their "suggested pricing list" at $57.50

My 250ml just arrived. To be honest it looks like the LHBS splits 1L bottles into 4x250ml bottles on their own and photocopies the label. Lol

Crazy that 2ml does a 23 batch.

Anyone have any luck getting their LHBS in the states to order the 250 ml bottle?
My son in law loves my beer, is celiac, and has no issues with any or the beer I brew when I use clarity ferm in it. And now that I have 6 taps to keep full, I need more of it!

Anyone have any luck getting their LHBS in the states to order the 250 ml bottle?
My son in law loves my beer, is celiac, and has no issues with any or the beer I brew when I use clarity ferm in it. And now that I have 6 taps to keep full, I need more of it!

Sounds like some research to set your Son in Law on :)

Canehdianman - also in Canada and interested in knowing where you got a larger container from! I did a bunch of looking about a year ago and didn't have any luck.

I put it in every brew and am currently coughing up the $5 a batch. In true cheapskate homebrewer form, it burns me!

In Canada, Jason from Beergrains.com was willing to get the 1L containers, but they would be upwards of 100$. Given that you could do about 100 batches (1000 ml / 10 ml), it's still cheaper, but I'd be worried maintaining sanitation and freshness for that long. I decided to continue buying the small vials as needed, for now, at least until I can find people in the Ottawa area willing to split the 1L.

The commercial sized Clarity Ferm must be stronger than the regular one as my big bottle says I only need 2 ml for a 23L batch.

The commercial sized Clarity Ferm must be stronger than the regular one as my big bottle says I only need 2 ml for a 23L batch.

It is. I contacted White Labs about this. The little vials are a diluted version and therefore are 10mL. The bulk larger bottles are a concentrate that you only need 2mL/5 gallons

It is. I contacted White Labs about this. The little vials are a diluted version and therefore are 10mL. The bulk larger bottles are a concentrate that you only need 2mL/5 gallons

Wow, ok. So with 1L I could do.... 500 batches. Given that I brew about once a month, I would have Clarity Ferm for the next... 40 years! Not sure of effective it would be, 40 years from now..!

I assume a bit of 'overpitching' of the enzyme would not be a problem? For batches smaller than 5g, White Labs recommends pitching the whole vial.

I wonder what they cut it with? Distilled water should be fine? I have a bunch of vials, I'd like to fill them all to minimize the number of times I'm opening the big container. I have pipettes and could meter it in and top it off with the water.

I assume a bit of 'overpitching' of the enzyme would not be a problem? For batches smaller than 5g, White Labs recommends pitching the whole vial.

I wonder what they cut it with? Distilled water should be fine? I have a bunch of vials, I'd like to fill them all to minimize the number of times I'm opening the big container. I have pipettes and could meter it in and top it off with the water.

Ya that's a good question, I have no idea what it's cut with. I've got to imagine that over pitching a little wouldn't be an issue, but I doubt putting 10ml of the concentrated stuff is a good idea so cutting it down would be smart.

I'm working on a bulk buy to split up with my home brew club.

My plan, currently, is to buy these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001889SBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It sounds like 1 L will be around $90, and if my math is correct, it should be ~2mL / batch. My plan is to break it up into 2.5mL doses (400) which would put the per-batch cost at about $0.30 including the syringe, or $0.38 if I splash out for the fancy syringe tips too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep on hearing that if you have Celiac to not bother trying this out till its proven safe enough to drink. I have not bothered with reduce gluten beers from Omission and the others on purpose because of this. Has anyone that have Celiac shown any negative responses to this? Keep in mind it can also be silent where as you wont feel anything but it may be damaging your intestines without you really knowing. Hate to be a buzz kill but I am on the fence, I miss my old recipes I used to brew with.

I keep on hearing that if you have Celiac to not bother trying this out till its proven safe enough to drink. I have not bothered with reduce gluten beers from Omission and the others on purpose because of this. Has anyone that have Celiac shown any negative responses to this? Keep in mind it can also be silent where as you wont feel anything but it may be damaging your intestines without you really knowing. Hate to be a buzz kill but I am on the fence, I miss my old recipes I used to brew with.

My gf is confirmed diagnosed with celiac. I just got an account created with white labs to purchase a 1L bottle of clarity ferm. Some different information was given to me vs what is here on dosage but either way she drinks my beer with no obvious issues. The silent ones I can't tell you about. She's been in for check ups since and hasn't noticed any issues. But it's not like she's pounding 10 a night, she will usually drink one or two once a week.

Wow, ok. So with 1L I could do.... 500 batches. Given that I brew about once a month, I would have Clarity Ferm for the next... 40 years! Not sure of effective it would be, 40 years from now..!

I am in Ottawa and would be interested in 250 ml (still gives far too many batches but at $25 as long as I did 5 batches it would be worth it). Have any others in Ottawa contacted you in regards to going splits on a 1L?

I too would love a 250 ml bottle, I used it on every 10 gallon batch. Jaybird, what sizes can you get?

Hi, can you post or PM me where sells C.Ferm in bulk? I'm Coeliac and this stuff really helps me to drink certain types of beers. Buying a small vial is very annoying!

Back