Lime Ale Extract Recipe Idea (Need Feedback)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVAgaffer

Reaction score
So the bug has bitten me and I want to start playing. I had the idea for a 'key lime pie' ale and got pretty good feed back on the basic concept from friends (a couple of who home brew gluten-full beers). I am also considering a lemon/lime variant that may be an easier idea to start with.

Here is what I have so far (i will update the recipe as I get feedback), any feedback on amounts/boil times/etc is greatly appreciated:

4 gallon initial batch size (I figure I will end up with 3.5 gal in the primary and 3 in the secondary, i figure this is a safer size to start with and easier to get higher OG since i want to avoid half container uses) This should give me theoretical OG of 1.058 and theoretical ABV of about 5.9%. I don't mind going higher though.

3.3 # sorghum extract - 60 min
2.75 # brown rice syrup - 60 min
1 #Candi Syrup (d-45 maybe) - 15 min
1 Wirlflock tablet - 15 min

Danstar Windsor yeast (I am not married to this but the kit i have going seemed to ferment well with this)

Here is where I really need suggestions for amounts/boil times/don't even think about it/etc:

-??? dry lime peel (I am considering some other citrus peels as well like sweet orange and maybe a touch of lemon)
-??? Maltodextrin
-??? lactose
-??? vanilla bean
-??? Hops (I am not a big 'hoppy' beer fan, the highest IBU I have found I like is 32 and I really disliked the 60 IBU Greens IPA, so i think i want something in the 20s to low 30s for IBU)
-??? anything else?

I am not opposed to doing a partial mash but would need some direction and I don't have a grain mill or food processor. I know the Greens gf beers are made with buckwheat and millet so i think they would be safe additions for my tastes.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

The more i think about this the more I am leaning to adding a partial mash of Millet and Buckwheat. I found the Corona style clone grain mill on amazon for pretty cheap and it has decent reviews.

I think i may use the same ingredients above but roll it up to a 5-5.5 gallon initial batch and add:
2# millet malt (probably going to go with a lighter roast but not sure yet)
2# buckwheat malt

I think should get me in the ball park of 1.062 OG

I may try 2 rounds of this:

One with a lighter millet malt and Simplicity or Golden candi syrup.
-Probably use some of the citrus peels in this without any lactose

Second another with a darker millet and 45 or 90 (maybe even 180) candi syrup
-Lactose
-Vanilla bean
-maybe a touch of citrus peels or other spices

Edit-

on second thought maybe i will do 5# millet, 2# buckwheat and go with half of the sorghum.

Ok so I have been doing a to of thinking and reading and here is where I am at with recipes, I have decided to scratch extract only and going with partial mash. Hops are where I am really stuck and values on citrus peels and some of the other additives I am kind of shooting in the dark.

First, "Summer Citrus Ale" (I am being inspired by Greens Triple Blondie but want some sweet citrus notes).
Estimated:
1.057-1.052 OG (5-5.5 gallon starting batch),
6.16-5.25% ABV
22-24 IBU

Grain
5# Pale Millet Malt
2# Buckwheat malt
3# pale Rice malt (replacing brow rice syrup since i can't find it in stock)

Extracts/other
#1.65 Sorghum extract (60min)
1 oz NZ Wakatu Hops (60min) (?????)
TBD Maltodextrin (60min) (??? i figure 8oz or less)

1# golden Candi Syrup (15min)
1 whirlflcok tablet (15min)
0.5 oz cascade hops (15min)

1 oz?? Lime Peel (5min???) I want lime to be the predominant citrus, I like lime...a lot... so I am thinking going a little heavy here.
0.5 oz?? Sweet Orange Peel (5min???) I think this will round out a sweeten the citrus but don't want orange to be front and center
0.25 oz?? Lemon Peel (5min???) Probably will go light on this just to round off the citrus notes

If there is not enough citrus I will add some more dry rinds into the secondary

0.5 oz Cascade (0min)

Windsor Yeast

approx 5 oz priming sugar at bottling

Second: I am going for a bit darker ale that get towards the key lime pie vibe I was originally looking for.
Estimated:
1.056-1.051 OG (5-5.5 gallon starting batch),
6-5.25% ABV
22-24 IBU

Grain
5# CARAMILLET malt (they didn't have crystal malt in the size i wanted so I am trying this instead)
2# Buckwheat malt
3# Biscuit Rice malt (replacing brow rice syrup since i can't find it in stock)

Extracts/other

#1.65 Sorghum extract (60min)
1 oz NZ Wakatu Hops (60min) (?????)
TBD Maltodextrin (60min) (??? i figure 2-4oz or less since I am using lactose)

1# d45 Candi Syrup (15min)
1 whirlflcok tablet (15min)
0.5 oz cascade hops (15min)

0.5oz Sweet Orange Peel (5min???) I think I will just want a hint of orange
0.5oz Lime Peel (5min???) This will probably be just to round off the orange

0.5 oz Cascade (0min)
4 oz Lactose (0min) (I am thinking this will give some creamy notes but not over power it since it isn't a super heavy brew)

2 Vanilla beans split (in fermentor) I figure this will round out the citrus and creamy notes, if its not enough I can always add more to secondary.

Windsor Yeast

approx 5 oz priming sugar at bottling

I think the first has some serious potential to be a nice summer beer and the second is either going to be a nice cool summer/spring/early fall brew or just down right horrid haha. I think I am going to go ahead and order ingredients and plan to start the first one either this weekend (if I get lucky on shipping) or next weekend.

Last edited:
Ok so I have it settled. No to extract only, partial mash with what I listed for the summer citrus ale. I spent days looking up mash stuff and have found some good instructions for single step mashes with GF grains.

I will start a thread up probably Friday documenting the brew day process and to document results. I want to give enough documentation so that anyone else wanting to jump into partial mash/all grain with GF can follow along and get decent results (assuming all the info I gathered works right).

Back