Made a GF Dunkel today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
I brewed a GF Dunkel today...

~90% RO water.
CaCl 1.00 tsp
Termamyl (thermo stable amylase) 2.00 Tbsp

Millet (toasted at 350 F for 45 min) (double milled) 6.00 lb
Buckwheat 2.00 lb
Gas Hog Rice Malt 3.00 oz
Biscuit Rice Malt 4.50 lb
Dark Rice Malt 1.00 lb

SEBamyl L (Amylase)15 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 3 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 3 ml

6 Gal Boil Minutes:
Hallertau Hops 1.00 oz 60
Yeast Nutrient 1.00 Tbsp 60
Hallertau Hops 0.50 oz 15

D-90 Candi Syrup 1.00 lb Directly into primary

Yeast: WPL300, 1 L starter

5 gal into fermentor (under shot by 1/2 gal).
OG was 1.065 (over shot by quite a bit).
Wort tasted and smelled great.

Looks good!

Did you mash that one over night?
Any reason you listed the Termamyl amylase enzyme separately from the others? Is that because you added one directly to the mash water and the others to the mash?

Glutarded-chris,

I have stoped doing the overnight mash because I was picking up noticable levels of tannins, not terrible but noticable.

The Termamyl is listed seperately because I add it to the mash water and the other enzymes are added later (just as you sugested).
I bring 4 gal of water and the huskless grains(millet and buckwheat) up to 180F with the Termamyl, then add the rice malt whitch drops the temp to 175F.
I rest at 175F for 3 hours.
This rest serves to gelatinize the starch and begin breaking it into dextrines.
I have found that 3 hours provides good efficiency without any noticable tannin extraction.

Then I add enough ice to lower the temperature to 140 F, add the other enzymes; and mash for 60 to 90 minutes at 140F (depending on the level of attenuation I hope to achieve).

Chris and Legume;
I have a hard time to find those enzymes in Canada and shipping gets up there importing something the border doesn't understand. In looking in Canada I found a guy who bought all the enzyme from one company and then makes it into his own liquid base and re-sells it, but, its for corn wash, not millet. I have been doing the long infusion way for three years now and I want to change things up. I have changed my system as of this week and I'm waiting on a pump from amazon to be delivered next week. I call it a HEIMS system. (Heat,Exchange,Infusion,Mash-System). I have a 6ft heating coil in the Mash tun and a 20ft coiling in the HLT. The pump will run to infuse heat into the mash and rise and hold the temps as needed. Once all the rests are done the mash is fed to the boil tank via gravity while the sparge is working on the top of the Mash tun. I would love to use this system as a single rest as per normal Barley type but getting those enzymes is proving more work finding and less time brewing, if you know what I mean! I also like experimenting with different malting to see the result to the brew. So my batches are proving grounds for my home malting technics.

Back