What did I expect. My own fault.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tend not to eat out at pubs because I am usually disappointed at best.
Yesterday I was out with SWMBO and was running late. 4pm and had not eaten lunch.

I weakened and called in to a Carvery pub.
The type with 3 meats and all the trimmings at $10 a piece.
I'll not even talk about the food. They put 90% into presentation and 10% into taste.

I looked at the bar, no hand pumps but they had 3 shelves of bottled beers. Standard stuff, OSH, Old peculiar and IPA.

I ordered an OP.

"We don't do it."
"But you have a shelf full"
"Oh! they are just for display."

"Fcuk it, I'll have Water"
"No need to swear sir"
"Just get me the water please"
"Sparkling or Still sir"
"TAP!"

Lucky in the UK such service does not demand a tip

I couldn't fetch myself to finish my food!

NEVER AGAIN.
I Must not be lazy!

orfy said:
"No need to swear sir"
See, they're plainly wrong on that.

It's shabby places like that - sadly far too common - that makes you appreciate places that get it right.

yeah I ran into this last week at a BBQ restaurant in my area. Figured I would have a beer while I waited to pick up my food and bring it home...whole wall of beers "on display"...first three I ordered, they didnt serve and were just for display..

Lesson: Have beer that you are pretending to sell!!!

orfy said:
I'll not even talk about the food. They put 90% into presentation and 10% into taste.
i have a friend at work whose wife is a classically trained chef. i give him grief whenever he brings a sack lunch in and it's always canned soup or dried ramen.. his expanation is that she's trained to make food look good not taste good.:cross:

Just checked out the pub link Orfy gave. Any pub that has Coors light on tap is one that you should just turned around at in the door and scoot.

Back