Robust Porter Kit - Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm pretty excited to try an AG batch, but don't want to invest in bulk grains before I've had a test go well (SWMBO rule :p)

Now, the beer that I'm craving most of all is a decent stout/porter, because I have yet to find any commercial examples for sale near me. I found a recipe kit for sale on the gluten free home brewing website (Who I understand is the exclusive distributor of Eckert malting co) here:
http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=202

I'd do it BIAB because thats how I've always brewed, but I'm so inexperienced with all these new GF grains that I have no idea how this recipe looks.

1) Has anyone tried something similar to this?
2) Does anyone have an opinion about whether it might be worth a try?
3) Is there a solid porter recipe that I could pick up for cheaper from somewhere else instead?

I'm not, but my wife is. Unfortunately it has to be a fully gluten free beer, I cant use gluten reducing products on normal beers.

Sounds like you are an experienced brewer and moving to GF grains will only need a little adaptation. There is a lot of good info on this forum for GF brewing process. Enzymes, temperature and times are critical for conversion of GF grains. The rest is the same.

If you are going to make an all grain, you are going to end up with grain that is from the same source as your kit. You can get millet and buckwheat from CMC but if you are going to use a good amount of roasted grain, you are going to need rice and Eckert rice malt is where you will end up. Not much opportunity to save on cost of ingredients. You could see if you can get a better deal buying the ingredients separately rather than in a kit, but my guess is that you will not do much better.

My friends that brew with barley say it is more challenging to brew good stout or porter and I think it is even harder using GF grains. If SWMBO likes amber ales, my advice is to start there and get your process down for efficiency etc. before moving to porter or stout territory.

If SWMBO likes hop forward beers, give good flavoring and aroma hop additions and consider a dry hop.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I don't post much around here, but I have some experience with the kits from http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org. Their millet malt is top notch. As Chris pointed out it is hard to do a porter or stout with GF grain. More hop forward beers or beers with very assertive yeast profiles have worked better for me as well.

The kit you have there is using Rice malt for color, and Millet as a base. The French Roast and Vienna Millet are for the toasty/roasty flavor of a porter. I think the mix they have approximates a porter. Don't expect a spot on to style porter but it should be drinkable. I would also add about .5lb-1lb of their buckwheat malt, or just some roasted buckwheat grouts from a health food store. You wont get much flavor from it or gravity, but it will increase the body of the beer and head retention. I tend to use about 10% of the grain bill to all my GF beers as roasted buckwheat grouts. I don't know about the Coriander, I will leave the decision to add thar up to you. I have used Cacao Nibs in a GF beer before and it smelled wonderful, but i found they added a chalky texture.

My biggest problem with their kits is the Mangrove Jack's yeast. I found fermentis dry yeast to be better all around, and its gluten free. I would suggest buying your yeast separately.

That is just my two cents,

Appreciate the comments everyone!

I just uncovered some articles on clarity ferm which has me interested again, especially considering that my wife can drink omission without any noticeable effects. I've posted the articles in the clarity ferm thread and am awaiting comment from educated members (I'm a business guy, science is Greek to me).

So with that in consideration, I'm bookmarking this kit until I've completely ruled out the gluten reducing options!

OK, so there is a definite spectrum of gluten intolerance's. Some people may be able to "get away" with drinking the "de-glutenized" beers, however, many Celiac's have said this is just slowly killing yourself. The enzyme does break down the gluten protein to the point that it is not detectable by the assay, but all the chunks still remain. They are not removed as some infer. These could still hold the trigger that causes the problems. The jury is still out as to whether the de-glutenize process is truly safe for gluten intolerant people.
I'll get down from my soapbox now!

Latest posts

Back