Just made a partial mash porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
I just made a partial mash porter, and thought I would share the process.
The wort tasted great going into the fermentor.
The use of the malted millet was not typical for me, I had it left over from long ago. Malted millet has always given me off flavors, but my normal process uses much higher temperatures (~180 F). This mini mash started at 165 and dropped from there, so my hope was that I would not extract the millet off flavors at this lower temp...we will see. Future versions would use biscuit rice malt replacing the munich millet.

Recipe below:
RO water was used

CaCl 1.00 tsp
Termamyl (thermo stable amylase) 2.00 Tbsp
AMG 300 Gluco amylase 1.00 Tbsp
GlutenAid pill (protease) 3 pills

Munich Millet Malt-Grouse 2.50 lb
Buckwheat Malt-Grouse 0.50 lb
Unmalted Buckwheat 2.00 lb
James Brown Rice Malt 1.00 lb
Dark Rice Malt 0.50 lb

Rice Syrup 3 Lb 60 min
Horizon Hops (12.2 AA) 0.40 oz 60 min
Branched Chain Amino Acids (NOW Foods) 1.00 Tbs 60 min
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 1.00 Tbsp 60 min
Willamette Hops 0.50 oz 10 min
whirlfloc tab 0.50 tab 10 min
Willamette Hops 0.50 oz 1 min
D180 candi syrup 1.00 lb directly into primary

Yeast: US-05

Disolve CaCl in 3 Gal RO water
Heat water to 175 F
Add grains & Termamyl, stir well, temp shoud come to rest at 164 F
Rest for 1 hour & 45 minutes
Add AMG300 and GlutenAid, stir well
Rest for 15 more minutes
Sparge into brewpot
add water to achieve a 4.5 galon boil
Boil as usual

SG was 1.054, and the wort looked and tasted great.
I will update in a few weeks.

I cannot wait to see the results. I miss Porters the most and have had only one GF porter to date.

This finished at 1.009.
It has a plesant mild coffee aroma and flavor, and a thin body.
It is good, but not great. I would prefer to have a stronger malt character and more body in a porter.

If I were to remake this batch I would mash at 175 for 2 hours with Termamyl, and omit the lower temp rest with AMG300. I might also up the dark rice malt to 1 lb.

Overall I am happy with it, but I think these changes would improve it.

Could be really good once it conditions for a month or so!

I'm sure the thin body comes primarily from the rice syrup base. You might also try some maltodextrin on your partial mashes. I found it necessary on partial mashes with sorghum and rice solids as a base but using maltodextrin was too much with all grain using millet and buckwheat malt.

I didn't try to run this on a water chemistry spreadsheet but at first glance the water profile used looks like it would be better suited for a pale ale than something with a lot of roasted grain. Since this is a partial mash, maybe you are not worried about the water chemistry as much because the roasted character of the grain will steep into the wart no matter what. The roasted grain will need a good amount of residual alkalinity to buffer the acidity and keep the pH in the right range. Depending on your natural water profile, you may be better off with your natural water and then add salts as needed to bring the profile in where you want it.

Glutarded-chris, you were right.
A few weeks of age has taken this from "good enough" to "great".
I would make this again.
Using an english or belgian yeast would be a nice twist.

This was an encouraging post. I am slightly bummed about a brown I made: thin with little or no head. No maltodexrin and no buckwheat. Slightly twangy.

I will give mine some time. Body will likely stay "thin" but taste may improve with time... after all its only 4-5 days in the keg so... thanks fellas.

Latest posts

Back