Using Rice Without a Cereal Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
I have had success using Minute Rice directly in my mash, however I'd like to use regular rice to keep my costs down.

For convenience, I'd rather not do a cereal mash.

1. Has anyone had any success using "parboiled" rice directly in a mash?

2. Is it possible to just cook rice, then add it directly to the mash?

I *think* the answer to this is yes, but I've never done so can't speak from experience. It would be a clumpy, sticky mess in your mash tun, of course, so you would need to add rice hulls or somehow avoid a stuck sparge.

I've ready online about people freezing rice after cooking it in order to avoid the stickiness and to save it for a later time. Has anyone ever tried pitching frozen cooked rice directly into the mash tun?

As another option, what about mixing some cracked 2-row into the rice at the end of cooking it in order to keep the rice from clumping, then adding it to the mash tun?

I have had success using Minute Rice directly in my mash, however I'd like to use regular rice to keep my costs down.

For convenience, I'd rather not do a cereal mash.

1. Has anyone had any success using "parboiled" rice directly in a mash?

Never tried #1. I've done #2:

First, I milled the rice (yes in my grain mill), and I cooked it in extra water (about 3:1 water:rice) until it started to gelatinize. Add this to the main mash, and mash for 90 minutes.

The gelatinized material is VERY easy to scorch, be very careful.

MC

Back