Need advice on a stock pot for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m planning to go all grain and its time I invest into a nice stock pot and came across this on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-30...?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item58904d7449

Because I live in a small apartment, space management is paramount to keep the other half happy, so I have to go BIAB.

For anyone who has done or been doing BIAB, do you think this is a good investment? I like the fact that this has a strainer and I can put a few strong screws through it and let it drip dry.

What size batches do you intend to brew? If you're doing 5 gallon batches, an 8 gallon pot is going to be awfully tight. Between boil-off and grain absorption, I have to start with about 7 gallons of water. Seems like even a moderate grain bill would push your total volume over 8...

I use 8-9 Gallons of Water in a typical batch... A 10 gallon Kettle is just a tad too small. 13 Gallon is better.

I use a10 gal kettle for 5 gallon batches. I use 7 gallons at the start of the boil and even with some foaming during hot break, my 10 gallon ketle is perfect. Neve had any boil over issues with that setup.

I have a 7.5 gallon pot and have done numerous 3gal BIAB's but I'd say 10-15 for full volume boils.

I got a10 gal from sams club, alu and solid for my biab 5 -6 gal batches. Any less is too small for ag

You guys are bursting my bubbles man… its hard enough to find something that is reasonably priced and comes with a strainer. Well I guess I can reduce my brew to say 3 gallon or just find a bitter stock pot.

Yeah I brew BIAB in an 11 gal pot, and it's almost been too small a couple times. I like having a little room to divert a boil over.

thanks all for your opinion and i guess the answer is pretty obvious... you can never have a stock pot which is too big.

I'd go with a 20 gallon if I were you and get 10 gallon batches out of the work. I was doing 5 gallon batches and for the amount of money and time it's a way better deal for all grain, which is pretty much what biab is.

Woah, you don't need a basket. My hand sewn bag held up just fine. That sams pot I mentioned was only 45 bucks with a lid. 40 qts.

Back