Guinness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of guinness

• Superb drink

• Overated

• Don't like it

• Never tried it

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't care for it all that much, but everyone tells me the stuff in Ireland is way better than what we get here in the U.S.

no selection for "good beer"??

don't think it's superb
maybe a little over rated....or most recently in the states over commercialized.

I enjoy a good pint of Guiness or a black & tan

loop

I'm with the loopster...somewhere between superb and overrated. It's a solid beer that I don't mind ordering, especially when something like Yuengling is the other "premium/import". I've never had it in Ireland, either, though.

I like Guinness. Sometimes it's REALLY good. Other times it's just OK. I voted superb and overrated at the same time - I think it's probably a bit of both.

I'd like to try it in Ireland just for comparison.

I have drank it in Dublin and Belfast.
I must admit it is better there than the other times I've tried it but I've had it less than 10 times.
I think it's over rated and a lot of people are "afraid" to admit they don't like it because it will make them look uncool or something.

The Emperors clothes.

Wasn't "Never tried it and I don't like it." an ad campaign once? I've only had the US version and I'll take just about any micro's stout instead. The widget cans don't cut it.

Its alright, ill drink it if that the only other beer besides BMC. The price of it at the store is way to high.

I like the stuff. The problem around here is, except for a few bars that sell alot of it and can keep the kegs new and fresh, it's usually kinda stale or the bar serves it so cold that you can't taste anything...

In Ireland is it superb. In Scotland is it great. In America it tasted like water, I could almost see through the glass. In Australia it is good.

Drinking it here in the states I thought it was OK but not fantastic. I did however have one on draft in the airport in Shannon Ireland once and that was the best beer to ever touch my lips. I think the fact that I just got off a crowded flight on my way home from the desert made it seem that much better.
On a side note- Shannon was the greenest most beautiful place I've ever seen. It didn't even look real out the airplane window. I didn't know anything could be that green.

loopmd said:
maybe a little over rated....or most recently in the states over commercialized.

+1... It's a "dark beer" thats commercialized in America so everyone tries to look like a "beer drinker" or "connoisseur" by drinking it...

I've had maybe one or two pints of it in the last 12 months. I can find better stouts to drink.

I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught. If only they served that on tap here.

While in Bonaire I tried a bottle of the Foreign Extra. Mmmm...rich, roasty goodness. Even better than the E.S.

I like it sometimes by itself. Usually order it on draft at local pub. Tastes better in a black and tan. That's my opinion though.

tastes like someone dumped coffee grinds in my beer. two thumbs down.

fezzman said:
I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught. If only they served that on tap here.

Me and a friend of mine like to get sixer of the Extra Stout and let it warm up as we finish it. The roasted, coffee, & chocolate flavors really intensify as it gets warmer. Those Pub Draught cans are s#$t. I wonder whose bright idea that was? A pint pulled at a bar is usually pretty good. If Guiness is the definition of a Stout I thnk I like variations like Cream Stout, Oatmeal Stout, etc. Hence, Overated.

david_42 said:
I'll take just about any micro's stout instead. The widget cans don't cut it.
Ever try Sierra Nevada's stout? Swill if you ask me.

The widget cans/bottles of Extra Stout aren't bad in comparison to some of the micros. Bottled Guinness Draught is...gross.

First time I had it was in London at a pub that served it from hand pumped taps. Having very little beer knowledge at the time I didn't know the difference. I'm going to agree with loop and BvB that the stuff here is between superb and overrated. I think I like my stout a little better be cause it has just a little more roasted flavor to it.

I think the "it's better in Ireland" argument stems from the inconsistent presentation of the US drafts; there are more bad pints here, but the good ones stand up to anything you'll get in Ireland. I believe the recipes are now the same (which wasn't always the case). Last I was in Ireland, many pubs were pushing the "Extra Cold" version (same damn beer, served colder to tone down some of the flavor I guess). So the Irish are just as susceptible to the hype...

I find a good Guinness draft to be an excellent session beer...low ABV, rich smooth mouthfeel, the roastiness gives it a refreshing edge. I can drink one after another all night long and not get drunk or have a hangover. Since few breweries in the US have an interest in making a good ordinary bitter...well, I guess Guinness fills that role for me.

At most US "BMC bars" (which is 90+ % of our bars) its the best beer you'll find, by far. And that's even if they don't know how to serve it...

Superb is what got my vote, but only because it was the only option for "like it". I wouldn't call it superb (at least in the States), but it's pretty good. I've heard that it's watered down here, though, as opposed to Guiness in Ireland. Finally, is it worth what it costs?---No way.

Edit: okay, i just finished reading all the responses and I see that others covered the "better in Ireland" point.

Bike N Brew said:
Last I was in Ireland, many pubs were pushing the "Extra Cold" version (same damn beer, served colder to tone down some of the flavor I guess). So the Irish are just as susceptible to the hype...

Correct - several other beers are served this way. I have no problem with this as it get people started on drinking it, much better than the other cold cr@p that is already available. Belhaven Best is one but I am sure that there are now others available. Better to drink cold good stuff than bad cold stuff. Sowing the seed for the future, they may like the cold stuff and then go into a pub where only the normal version is available and then BANG then are then hooked and start drinking other non-cold beers.

dibby33 said:
Correct - several other beers are served this way. I have no problem with this as it get people started on drinking it, much better than the other cold cr@p that is already available. Belhaven Best is one but I am sure that there are now others available. Better to drink cold good stuff than bad cold stuff. Sowing the seed for the future, they may like the cold stuff and then go into a pub where only the normal version is available and then BANG then are then hooked and start drinking other non-cold beers.

Agreed. What caused me dismay was that there were several pubs (mostly in Dublin, IIRC) that served ONLY the Extra Cold...I just ordered 2 off the bat, so the second one could warm while I drank the first.

Bike N Brew said:
Agreed. What caused me dismay was that there were several pubs (mostly in Dublin, IIRC) that served ONLY the Extra Cold...I just ordered 2 off the bat, so the second one could warm while I drank the first.
Ah, the never ending round! When would you stop drinking with always 1 pint. I would have to fall off my stool. (btw my mate in Scotland did this twice in one week much to his embarresment - turns out that he wasn't very well, but still :))

Bike N Brew said:
At most US "BMC bars" (which is 90+ % of our bars) its the best beer you'll find, by far. And that's even if they don't know how to serve it...

That brings me to a short, funny story. I stayed in St. Augustine at a 2.5-3 star hotel (Best Western maybe...can't remember). Anyways, I noticed that they had their own pub named something along the lines of O'Malley's with shamrocks on the windows. I thought to myself, "score" and went in for a pint. To my dismay, they only had TWO beers on tap, Guinness and Bud Light. When I asked the bartender for a Guinness she said she's never served it before and didn't even know how. :confused: :confused: I told her how, drank my stale Guinness, and never went back.

Never served a Guinness in an Irish pub????

Well, I am with Loop, The Baron and some others. It is not what I'd consider a 'bad' beer. It tastes good on the Nitro, when there is nothing better to order. Doesn't do much from the widget bottle for me (I still poured it into a glass). That all being said, we have a different version that comes to us...and on top of that it is pasteurized. Not sure if they do that "o'er there" or not, but I'd imagine on tap in the proper setting it would be very good.

"Name it" :D

Bike N Brew said:
I think the "it's better in Ireland" argument stems from the inconsistent presentation of the US drafts; there are more bad pints here, but the good ones stand up to anything you'll get in Ireland.

I visit Ireland at least once a year, and personally I don't think Guinness travels well. It could be a freshness thing too. I've never had a pint here in the states that stands up to a fresh pint in a good pub in Limerick.

Anyway, after I get full from Guinness, I move on to Smithwicks for a lighter fare.

Here in the states, I like Murphey's Stout in the can with the widgit.

desiderata said:
I've heard that it's watered down here, though, as opposed to Guiness in Ireland.

Woo it must be really low alcohol over at your end if thats true, it only 4.1 % on draught over here.
I don't know what gas they use to dispense guiness over in the states but nearly all bars go with 75 % Nitrogen and only 25 % CO2, gives you a better sense of that 'false' body that people associate with the drink.

Personally i think its hugely overrated and i don't like the company that make it for a multitude of reasons ie strangled all competetion leading to an incredible paucity of decent beer over here in ireland.
Also its sold on the whole premise of being irish, but the stout style orginated in london, the parent company is based in london, the profits go to london, the smart marketing campaigns are conceived in london etc etc.

Im not london bashing just pointing out that its not as irish/fiddledy dee as it likes to make out.

delboy said:
Personally i think its hugely overrated and i don't like the company that make it for a multitude of reasons ie strangled all competetion leading to an incredible paucity of decent beer over here in ireland.

I remember seeing a show where they went there and then they went to a place not too far away from there. I recall the guy mentioning that the beer at the other place was far far better. Any ideas to what the brewery was/is?

zoebisch01 said:
I remember seeing a show where they went there and then they went to a place not too far away from there. I recall the guy mentioning that the beer at the other place was far far better. Any ideas to what the brewery was/is?

Im not sure but the big three are guiness, murphy and beamish.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/irlbrew.htm

Heres a we link for irish brewries, might be of interest?? Towards the bottom the author goes into the different forms of guiness and how it has evolved over the years.

fezzman said:
That brings me to a short, funny story. I stayed in St. Augustine at a 2.5-3 star hotel (Best Western maybe...can't remember). Anyways, I noticed that they had their own pub named something along the lines of O'Malley's with shamrocks on the windows. I thought to myself, "score" and went in for a pint. To my dismay, they only had TWO beers on tap, Guinness and Bud Light. When I asked the bartender for a Guinness she said she's never served it before and didn't even know how. :confused: :confused: I told her how, drank my stale Guinness, and never went back.

Never served a Guinness in an Irish pub????

LOL..I had a similar experience in an "Irish" pub in Jersey City. They had all sorts of Guinness signs around the joint and I asked for one. "We don't have Guinness" was the response. :confused: Murphys? Beamish? Nope and Nope. Any stouts? Nah. I settled for a Brooklyn lager.

Edit: I should add that any fan of Guinness/dry stouts in the southeastern PA area should give Sly Fox's version a try....rather tasty.

Guinness is my drink of choice while in Ireland, but it certainly leaves a lot to be desired here in the states. I'm betting that a good home-brewed "clone" would be a better option in these parts.:mug:

cnbudz said:
I like the stuff. The problem around here is, except for a few bars that sell alot of it and can keep the kegs new and fresh, it's usually kinda stale or the bar serves it so cold that you can't taste anything...

Agreed. I've had it in Ireland and plenty of times in the US, and to be honest, it's usually great. Sometimes it's stale, but I've only gotten that in pretty scummy bars. It's often served way too cold, so I let it sit on the table. To be honest, the appearance of the beer is so good that it really ups the beer in my opinion. That perfect creamy head, that deep, deep color of the beer...awesome. :mug:

I enjoy Guinness quite a bit, even from the widget can. It is overpriced, but I don't necessarily think it's over rated, it is to its style what Pilsner Urquell is to its. Also one of the few beers that I liked when I started drinking beer and still like just as much.

Back