Easiest Belgo-IPA you could make.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronnyjenkins

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
S-05 or Wyeast 1388
Yeast Starter
Nah...
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
none!
IBU
unknown
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14, 75
Tasting Notes
almost exactly like NB BelgoIPA
So... I just tasted New Belgium's Belgo-IPA and it totally reminds me of the easiest beer I have ever made in my life, so I thought I would pass along the info. Ya, it probably isn't by the book, but the method was what the LHBS recommended.

Basically it is a no-boil bitter, but you can make it even more like Belgo if you use a Belgian yeast strain. For mine I used two packages of Munton's light hopped DME. For a strong, use 3x3lb. I rigged up a sanitary mixer paddle on my drill, and blending it all into my full 5 gallons until it was aerated and blended. Since you aren't doing a boil, be very careful to sanitize things properly. I actually used Safale S-05 and fermented in the high 70s because it was before I had my fermentation fridge, and it was just as fruity as the NB beer. I mean it tastes uncannily similar.

(3) packages 3lb hopped light dried malt extract
1 or 2 oz of Amarillo or your choice of dry hop.
one packed of S-05, or your choice of Belgian strains.
Ferment in the upper 70's for 14 days, lower if you want less fruit.

Keg or bottle, and you are done. The whole thing took me like 15 minutes. Had to post when I tasted this Belgo because it tastes so similar.

tronnyjenkins said:
So... I just tasted New Belgium's Belgo-IPA and it totally reminds me of the easiest beer I have ever made in my life, so I thought I would pass along the info. Ya, it probably isn't by the book, but the method was what the LHBS recommended.

Basically it is a no-boil bitter, but you can make it even more like Belgo if you use a Belgian yeast strain. For mine I used two packages of Munton's light hopped DME. For a strong, use 3x3lb. I rigged up a sanitary mixer paddle on my drill, and blending it all into my full 5 gallons until it was aerated and blended. Since you aren't doing a boil, be very careful to sanitize things properly. I actually used Safale S-05 and fermented in the high 70s because it was before I had my fermentation fridge, and it was just as fruity as the NB beer. I mean it tastes uncannily similar.

(3) packages 3lb hopped light dried malt extract
1 or 2 oz of Amarillo or your choice of dry hop.
one packed of S-05, or your choice of Belgian strains.
Ferment in the upper 70's for 14 days, lower if you want less fruit.
Keg or bottle, and you are done. The whole thing took me like 15 minutes. Had to post when I tasted this Belgo because it tastes so similar.

I think I'll try this out, sounds to good to be true easy breezy

Back