Fresh Red Peppercorn beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynewbom

Reaction score
Well some of the benefits of starting a microbrewery and home brewing in central america and El Salvador is that we get some way cool ingredients.:ban:

At a local organic produce store this week I found a jar of FRESH red ripe peppercorns. (technically not a true peppercorn but still fresh and sweet!) The kind they make regular black pepper out of but these are red and ripe and still juicy. The flavor is absolutely radical! sweet, spicy, fruity and effervescent.

So of course we have to brew a beer with them. after much study we decided to brew a nice american amber ale with a bit of belgian influence by adding some Belgian Special B and american special roast barley for some nice raisin notes and sweetness. Medium hops and bitters in the 25-30 range with a bit more flavor hops.

we will split the batch into two fermenters and use two yeasts (dry cause thats all we can have here) the Safale 58 peppery Belgian trappist and the Safale 33 belgian/english fruity yeast. then we will dry hop with the fresh red peppercorns.

pretty excited.

I've added Long Pepper and Grains of Paradise to a mead.

I'll be interested to hear how the flavor is from the fresh peppercorn addition.

I had a pink peppercorn sasion that was quite good. I'd be very interested in a beer made with the fresh stuff.

Back