Never ending krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
So i brewed an APA almost 3 weeks ago. Nothing special, 4.5%, simple grain bill (mash at 153F) and WLP001. I did add some home grown hops at flameout. I fermented the first week at 66F in a controlled fridge. The air lock slowed down after about 5 days to a bubble every 30 sec or so and the krausen dropped when I shook it. I then raised the temp to 68F and came back a few days later and another fresh krausen had formed. I figured it was cause of raising the temp, no big deal, shook it and everything dropped again. few days later another fresh krausen had formed, scratched my head, shook it and everything dropped out. 2 days later (today) another fresh krausen! anyone ever seen this?

Hoegaarden yeast tends to be long krauseing. I have used bottle harvested hoegaarden yeast that had had a krausen on it for upwards of 3 weeks, where even the gravity reading showed that the beer was finished.

If your hydro readings do show that your beer is finished, carefully racking the beer to your bottling bucket, and letting the krausen float down to the trub is usually all you need to do, it won't transfer across, instead it usually will just get stuck in the trub. Heck half the time just lifting the bucket up to your table to rack will knock the krausen loose.

It smells fine, and there is no sign of infection. The Krausen has yeast in it not bacteria so i feel I can rule that out. I have not taken a hydro reading, but will this weekend to check the F.G. The thing that puzzles me, is I knock down the krausen to only see it come back 24-48 hrs later. I'm not too worried about it, just interested me. I have never seen this happen before.

Revvy, this is WLP001 cali ale yeast, any experience with that?

I've used it, but I've never paid attention to how long it flocculates out, since I pitch my yeast and then come back in a month. It's only in cases like opening the fermenter up to bottle like with the hoegaarden yeast, that I would notice.

Sometimes just lifting or moving the fermenter is enough to knock it down. It may be done, but sometimes krausens physically become stuck to the side of the fermenter.

Back