SodaStream type all natural syrups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticHeather

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Soda Stream machine, but I don't like some of the ingredients in the soda syrups (plus, they are quite overpriced for their tiny size). I'd like to find some alternatives syrups or to make my own.

Can anyone recommend an all natural syrup or direct me to some recipes?

(I did check out the Pittsburg soda shop website, but it looks like they use alot of artificial flavors)

I was just thinking of that book as well. It's been on quite a few food sites and someone from this forum was talking to the author to talk about scaling recipes.

In general though, some recipes are easier than others. For example hibiscus syrup is just hibiscus palps, sugar, water and some lemon juice (or other citric acid). I keep mine in the fridge and kinda got tired of it so I just used it to make ice cream a few days ago.

Ginger soda of which several versions is slightly more complicated, only in that it has a few more ingredients. Ginger, spices, lime/zest, sugar, water.

If you're thinking of a cola, look at open cola. To me, it's not worth the effort, to get the 8-15 different ingredients that are only used for this syrup, which are all extracts.

If you're looking at fruit ones, I think the best option tends to be to macerate some fruit in the fridge and put in cups to serve then pour over some carbonated water.

Oh, thanks, I'll look for that book!

I did find the nature's flavors site, but I found alot of really negative reviews about their customer service so I've been hesitant to try them out. Pity, since the ingredients look really good. (Maybe I'll give them a try anyway.)

I probably won't bother with colas- I'm more interested in ginger ales, rootbeers, and orange sodas. (Eventually I do want to try to brew some, but my husband won't let me use his beer system so I need to get the equipment!)

The soda stream syrups are concentrated, which is why they seem so tiny, but compare the price to a regular syrup and you might find they're comparable to something like Monin or Torani. I'd guess that the ingredients you don't like are the artificial sweeteners which are what makes it so they can sell such a concentrated syrup in a small size.

If you're looking for something natural, it's probably going to be just as expensive as the soda stream stuff when you compare cost of finished soda. But if you insist on natural, iyou could try contacting P&H. I know t's not at all in your area, but It looks like they're growing so you may soon be able to order online.

Your best bet for cost savings and natural is just a DIY.Homemade soda syrups are super easy. Sugar+water+flavor and you're good to go!

I'm not a fan of those Sodastream syrups anyway as even the non-diet ones use artificial sweeteners. They do now have an all natural brand but flavours are limited.

I use Monin syrups to make italian sodas. Torani makes a similar product but I like the Monin flavours a bit better. They have lots of different flavours so you could make just about any type of soda you like, including some really obscure ones.

What I do is carbonate the water in the 1 litre bottle and then add 2 ounces (or to your taste) of syrup to the bottle, cap it and then give it a few turns to mix. My girlfriend likes orange but I'll usually mix one ounce of orange and one ounce of vanilla to make a creamsicle. I make a great chocolate soda using these syrups as well. Add a splash of vodka, if you like.

+1 for Monin! I spent a couple years in Sicily, and theirs is the only Blood Orange flavor that truly reminds me of real, Sicilian, bleed all over your hands, drippy blood oranges.

I like both Monin and Torani for storebought syrups, but it comes down to what is cheapest and most available in the area. Unfortunately, the Monin syrups are not as available to me as the Torani syrups. I'd have to online source Monin, except for the basic flavors of vanilla, hazelnut and raspberry.

You could also try Prairie Moon concentrated syrups. I use them for yeast carbonated bottled soda. You can order them online and because they come in a 4 oz concentrate, they're not terribly expensive to ship. Because you mix your own sugar and water you can control the sugar content and make it to your taste. There's a recent thread in this forum about them.

http://www.prairiemoon.biz/Syrup-Concentrate-Complete-Flavor-List_c_553.html

You could also try Prairie Moon concentrated syrups. I use them for yeast carbonated bottled soda. You can order them online and because they come in a 4 oz concentrate, they're not terribly expensive to ship. Because you mix your own sugar and water you can control the sugar content and make it to your taste. There's a recent thread in this forum about them.

http://www.prairiemoon.biz/Syrup-Concentrate-Complete-Flavor-List_c_553.html

I ordered from Prairie Moon actually, but I'm a bit worried about the Proplyne Glycol and the artificial coloring. But they have great prices and like you said, you control the syrup. I ordered 6 bottles so I hope I like it. (The shipping was kind of expensive).

I'd like to just find natural extracts like the ones they use for the Whole Foods sodas. I have IBS and would like to find a way to make cheap natural soda. I find the Whole Foods soda's don't bother me as bad.

I make my own syrups from fruit and juice concentrates. So far I've made apple and grape with much success. Basically you throw a can of frozen juice concentrate in a saucepan, add a cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and turn down to low and boil it down some. Cool and put in a bottle (I reused my Sodastream syrup bottles). Store for a couple days in the refrigerator or several months in the freezer.

Back