Taste: thin and sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
FNnewguy here,

I am wondering if anyone has done a Honey Cherry Wheat (partial grain and extract)? I recently have brewed, and just finished bottling (56 bottles). The problem that I have is after tasting some of the leftovers from my priming bucket. My brew tasted thin and a little sour. Maybe someone can give me a clue as to why this happened. Anyway, I am aware that it may take some time for it to condition in the bottles. And according to my recipe it suggested letting it condition for atleast 6 months. Here is the recipe:

6.6 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract (breiss)
1 lb honey
5 lbs frozen cherries
½ lb. Pale Grain - 2 row (cracked)
½ lb. Malted Wheat Grain (cracked)
1½ oz. Hallertauer (whole hops) boil
½ oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (whole hops) finish
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - Bavarian Wheat or Belgian Ale

It is a modified one from a Wheat Beer that I got from my local HBS. It primaried for 5 days and was racked to secondary. It sat there for 2 weeks and cleared nicely. Came out a nice maroon color (looked good). Any comments greatly appreciated. By the way, I intentionaly made 6 gallons

Give it some time before you judge. I've noticed that flat beer sometimes seems to taste watery for some reason. It's also green

What type of cherries were they? Some varieties of cherry are sour. Then again, it could just be a conditioning issue. Give it a couple of weeks and check it again.

gruntingfrog said:
What type of cherries were they? Some varieties of cherry are sour. Then again, it could just be a conditioning issue. Give it a couple of weeks and check it again.

Ya, that's true too - but the cherry flavor will mellow pretty quickly

They were just plain frozen cherries. Not sure about where they were from. I remember the package contents of being "fresh frozen sweet cherries". Yeah, i guess it's very green. I hope I didn't put too much water in it. Next time, I will try using more grains. Got an American pale ale coming up next.

My Berry Hard Cider is conditioning now. I didn't use sugar in it, I mashed some Pilsner and Munich 6L, (5 lbs total) trying to get some residual sweetness from the unfermentibles. I think it worked, the dregs in the bottling bucket were pretty good. My FG was 1.002, pretty dry, but it still has some sweetness. Fruit sems to make beers ferment to dryness, and without some sugar, the fruits don't taste like you would think.

Back